Featured Concho belt - Sanford secrest

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by SONJA BROWN, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@SONJA BROWN , could you clean the backs of 4 and 5 a bit and take photos? Even if I tweak them I can't make much of the text.
    I think 5 says something about "recuerda de la Princessa", memory of the Princess (memento of the Princess?)

Off to rest my eyes, be back later.:wacky::)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In context, that makes much better sense. I had thought it referred to the belt.

Debora

3. Any Jewelry

Yes, it seems to be part of a story, which is unfolding as we read more. The name of the Sultan doesn't ring a bell though, not in that time frame.

I will see if I can tweak some more photos later on.

4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

@SONJA BROWN if you clean those requested, you can email them to me and I will post them.

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  5. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

isn't the engraving just a story...and not meant to date the item..?

8. SONJA BROWN

SONJA BROWN New Member

I would think so. I am not sure who engraved it but I wish I knew

9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

What an interesting read. Loved it. I’ve never seen anything like this piece. BTW I’ll go against the grain of those who agreed with correcting you on Concho vs. Concha and I collect vintage Navajo belts. Both spellings are accepted although the more commonly used American term is concho. Yes the shape is taken from a conch or concha shell but most people do call them Conchos. If you’re selling it on the internet you definitely want to use the term Concho although you can use both. Out of my own curiosity I just looked at the sites of my three fave Santa Fe dealers of historic NA jewelry-Shiprock, Morningstar and Rainbowman. They all sell ConchO belts...(Morningstar has a concho pin).

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  10. SONJA BROWN

SONJA BROWN New Member

I have no idea what the value of this piece is. Any input would be appreciated. Maybe the engraving adds value? I don't know who engraved it or why.

11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I believe we’re discouraged from discussing pricing but it’s easy enough to search SOLD ebay listings for Silver Link Concho belts. Less come up for Concha but check both and if you’re selling, use both terms. Personally, I think the engraving will add value for a specific someone so I’d make sure you reference with appropriate keywords if selling.

It’s such an odd (in my experience) piece that I have no idea how much value the engraving may or may not add so again, if selling, you may want to put it at a higher price with a Best Offer and see what flies but it could take a long time to attract a historically motivated “Ottoman Sultan” collector of concho belts lol. This is a first for me and I hope someone may eventually be able to provide additional history.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  12. SONJA BROWN

SONJA BROWN New Member

thank you -

Any Jewelry and reader like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

I wonder if it is fiction. I also wonder why it was engraved on the back of the conchas. Maybe an engraving excercise? Or maybe to make people wonder what it is.:hilarious:
    One thing is for sure, the belt itself has nothing to do with the Ottoman Empire, or with Turkey in general. But it is a fun, intriguing item.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    SONJA BROWN, kyratango and reader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted