confused by this mark, is it satsuma or chinese or what?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Nov 5, 2022.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Is it china/porcelain? If so then it's not Satsuma, I'm afraid the pic of the mark is too small for me to make out clearly but the second character is yu in Chinese (Jade) or tama in Japanese (ball). This character is more commonly found on Chinese works of art.

Bakersgma, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

That stabilizer on the base is a tad curious. The decoration and colours seem similar to Japanese wares from c. 1920, but I wouldn't swear to it. Any joy looking on gotheborg?

4. Francisco G Kempton

Francisco G Kempton Well-Known Member

It appears much like the Chinese Wanyu mark. I would guess this is a Chinese satsuma, and most chinese Satsuma copies began in the 1980's. The detail on this is quite a good respresentation, and quite different to the usual royal satusma in it's more accurate detail but the figures are very chinese in people republic style. The mark is common to late 20th century modern chinese ware, but the Wanyu mark is dates back to the kangxi era.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted