Confused on Later Kangxi Ginger Jar

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Aug 4, 2019.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

The Gotheborg site is wonderful, but sometimes it confuses me - Chinese marks are awfully hard for me to identify. This lidded ginger jar is about 12 1/2" tall and there are chips around the lid edge.

I think I found the mark on Gotheborg listed as Mark 732 Kangxi Nian Zhi, c. 1900. https://www.gotheborg.com/marks/bild/732_fullsize.jpg

Can someone tell me what Kangxi Nian Zhi means? And if I try to sell this piece, what key words would you put in the title so that it's clear this isn't from the early Kangxi period?

Thank you for your help!

Janice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

scoutshouse likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You want to use terms like "honorific" for the mark to make as clear as you can that the item was not made during the period.

Figtree3, Mat, i need help and 4 others like this.
  3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Perfect - thank you!

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

This is often called "Kangxi revival"... The mark means "Made during the Kangxi Reign", but as Bakersgma said, it is honorific or also called "apocryphal"...

Figtree3, Bakersgma and ascot like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted