Considering Purchasing A Vintage Spool Cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Joe2007, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

I occasionally see these at estate auctions and antique shops. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips on evaluating them and researching prices?

I'm thinking they would be great for storing small antiques.

Christmasjoy and James Conrad like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

There are fakes out there so be careful in that regard. Also, some are heavily restored with new decals and the like. Think you ought to be able to get a run-of-the-mill one for under $150.00. A really nice one might set you back 2 to 3 times that. Good time to be buying one, as prices are down from where they once were.

Just checked ebay sold listings and prices were higher than I expected. I also took a look at liveauctioneers which also showed fairly strong prices. I am a bit surprised. Can't get those prices here where I live in the Midwest. You might compare those prices to what you are seeing locally.

Figtree3, judy, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

People seem to love them, and some of them command high prices, although they've fallen off in the past 10 years like most things in the antique world.

I'm not a connoisseur by any means, but the qualities collectors seem to value are (of course) condition, number of drawers, and the type of writing found on the front of those drawers. In other words, a big one with lots of drawers in great condition with cool info written in period script and cool drawer pulls will be the one to look out for. No big surprise there.

Here in the U.S. midwest I've found several dealers (most now defunct) who specialize in these. It's fun to go and watch them sell, and it's a good way to learn.

Aquitaine, Figtree3, judy and 3 others like this.
  4. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bet. I don't really know anything about these cabs except they are highly collectible and, if anything like spice boxes can get pricey in a hurry.

5. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

So I was at an estate auction with several spool cabinets yesterday. The large Clark's 6 drawer spool cabinet sold for over $900 and had some condition issues that I didn't like including cracked wood and broken glass. The 2nd 6 drawer cabinet that didn't have as much advertising but was in pristine condition sold for $600 to a notable antique dealer in my area.

I purchased the 3rd smaller 3 drawer spool cabinet. The condition is really good and the price much lower than I had thought it might realize. See pictures below. Going to post this in the Finds Thread as well. Your thoughts?

spool cabinet 1.jpg spool cabinet 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  6. Ghopper1924

As I said above, I'm no spool cabinet expert, but I think you did a good job of sticking your toe in the pool on this one. Love the decal script, the condition seems to be very good (but not TOO good), and you could actually use it to put little stuff in.

You did a good, thoughtful job on your first spool cabinet purchase. Can't wait to see your next one!

7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

That it would be great for a cameo collection, except it looks like oak?

8. James Conrad

Small wood antique boxes are HIGHLY collectible, I'd say you did well depending on price that i don't see listed.

9. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

$125 + tax

10. James Conrad

I'd say that's fair, you did well!

KikoBlueEyes, cxgirl, Joe2007 and 2 others like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I fell on these online....just thought I'd add some pics..

upload_2019-3-3_17-32-1.jpeg upload_2019-3-3_17-32-21.jpeg upload_2019-3-3_17-32-44.jpeg upload_2019-3-3_17-33-2.jpeg upload_2019-3-3_17-33-37.jpeg

Bakersgma, cxgirl, Joe2007 and 3 others like this.
  12. Ghopper1924

Nice. Love the third one.

James Conrad likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I think you did better than “well”!!! Nice buy Joe!!:singing::singing:

That could also be GREAT for a political (or otherwise) button collection!!!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  14. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

great spool cabinet Joe:)

Draft saved Draft deleted