Featured Continental Hand Painted KPM Style Cabinet Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by laura9797, Jan 12, 2023.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognize this mark on the backside of a hand painted KPM/Dresden style plate? Plate or bowl is framed and then framed in shadow box. I did find a similar one being sold on Etsy but they did not make mention of the mark. Seems like this would be newer production. Does the subject matter look like a friar? It is not signed on the work on the work itself. Thank you. The diameter of the plate/bowl is approx. 9.32 in. IMG_7813.jpg IMG_7814.jpg IMG_7810.jpg IMG_7811.jpg IMG_7809.jpg

2. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

A bit paunchy and self-satisfied looking, as well as a little different looking though......but of the same ilk....found by @tie.dye.cat ....

FRIAR-MONK.jpg

tie.dye.cat and Bakersgma like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like an innkeeper

5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

The colours in the examples shown look dubious to me, they look coloured more than hand painted

6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Yeah, not sure how that one listing arrived at "monk".

komokwa likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Laura-Is that an Asian language newspaper on the back of the frame ? Can't quite make it out ?

8. komokwa

looks like listings for makers marks...

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not sure it looks like all hand painting.

If you rotate the mark I think it's a version of the AR mark. Unfortunately AR was used by quite a few makers over time. Most shown in Rontgen's are more swirly. The closest I think might be Anton Richter but I don't know. Others that used an AR mark, Royal Porcelain Manufactory Meissen, Helena Wolfsohn, R&E Haidinger, Albin Rosenlocher. Probably many more.

Your mark
    upload_2023-1-13_15-35-45.png [​IMG]

Here are a couple listing that thought they were Richter. I don't know.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/pr-dresden-anton-richter-portrait-474482042
    upload_2023-1-13_15-35-10.png

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/en-gb/item/38629432_anton-richter-dresden-porcelain-portrait-plate
    upload_2023-1-13_15-47-49.png

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  12. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. My colleagues thought we had wonderful KPM because of the framing and the shadow box. I told them I just didn't think so. It looked important but then when you really looked, just didn't seem old or near the quality of KPM. Pretty none the less and someone will like it. I just didn't want to misrepresent it. I'll pull out my loop on Monday and double check the work for pixilation. There are areas of raised enamel but I feel sure these were made to look hand painted so I wouldn't doubt it if they were embellished.

13. komokwa

u were spot on.....:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted