Featured Controversial Antiques: Post Links To News Articles

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Joe2007, Aug 11, 2020.

1. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think that since it’s her legally purchased piece, she should do what works for her and she should not let anyone guilt or strong arm her into a decision that doesn’t work for her.

Joe2007 and komokwa like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I'd say. If it was legally sold, the tribe ought to be able to buy it back at cost if they want it. No freebies unless it was grave-robbed or the like. I do have a piece of Peruvian grave fabric here inset into a box. It was given to me by, of all things, someone in Canada. They didn't have a clue and neither did I until fairly recently. I need to ask a Peruvian friend what to do with it.

all_fakes, Joe2007 and reader like this.
  3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I agree that is a very difficult situation, and the answer probably depends greatly on specific facts that are not available or appropriate here; and on the individuals involved.
    I'd hope that the parties could sit down together, perhaps with a mediator or mediators, and come to some agreement. Sometimes such issues end up in court, and sometimes there is no way to avoid that.
    I've seen situations where the current owner decided to donate the item; and situations where the tribe agreed to pay a reasonable price. I wish all situations could be that easy; but life is often not so simple as one might wish.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    komokwa and reader like this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I think what disturbs me the most are the situations where the item ended up in nontribal hands because of a very conscious decision to sell the item for cash. The circumstances at the time may have been very difficult, even heart wrenching but a decision was made at that time and I think that the younger tribal activists tend to forget that fact.

I think it’s inappropriate to ask for these items back without compensation to the current owner in those cases. This does not apply to items that were stolen or sold without permission and of course there are situations that fall on a gray line somewhere in between and in many cases it remains unknown how the item even entered nontribal hands.

all_fakes and komokwa like this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I agree with many of the things being said here; noting that this discussion was perhaps not the intent of the thread....but to add, I'd certainly hope that the tribe would offer fair compensation; but if they didn't see it that way, I wouldn't feel qualified to give advice on the best course of action, even to a friend.
    If I were in that situation, I might consider going to one of the curators at the Burke museum, saying "You're on good terms with the tribe; would you be willing to help us have this discussion?"

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted