Featured Cool Real Photo Postcard - Crowd Of Working Men, Man Riding Donkey

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Joe2007, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Hello Folks,

This is a new addition to my postcard collection. Unfortunately the location is not identified although the collection I purchased it out of contained mostly Ohio and Kentucky cards. I love the level of detail and was hoping you guys would give your analysis of some of the smaller details that perhaps an untrained eye would miss in identifying possible location/subject matter of this early divided back postcard.

Thanks,
    Joe

real photo postcard.jpg
    real photo postcard back.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1904-1918 according to the AZO design.

Debora

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lumber dealer.

Debora

Figtree3 and Joe2007 like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Donkey probably belonged to the mill.

Debora

8ee92cc4512e1dace2aaeb33c9a9ee1c.jpg

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and Joe2007 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is the reflection on the left hand side in the original or in your photograph?

Debora

pearlsnblume and Joe2007 like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

My photography leaves a lot to be desired, the blurriness on the left is due to my photo. The wording reads "Scroll Sawing And General Millwork" and on the other side "Dealer Of Kinds Of Rough Dress .... Lumber"

Thanks for the assistance.

Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The wording would be "Dealer Of All Kinds Of Rough Dressed Lumber."

Debora

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Figtree3, Joe2007 and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Insert ALL before Kinds ;)

Figtree3, Joe2007 and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Something a little more sinister is lurking in the shadows (albeit, he's smiling):
    ShadowFace.jpg ShadowMan.jpg

2manybooks, Joe2007 and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I've done some searches on the phrases on the signs. Both of them were used in advertising for multiple companies. The part on the left side of your image seems to be less common, at least among the things I can find online. There were a few in the general area of Kentucky and Ohio. One that I kept seeing was Maysville Manufacturing Company in Maysville, Kentucky. Also there was a company, didn't take down the name, in Cincinnati.

The one in your photo appears to have done everything from milling original logs to finishing the woods in various ways. There is a similar modern place here in northeastern Iowa, about an hour from where I live. I took a tour of it within the past couple of years. They even have an attached store where they sell decorative products they have made, along with other things they did not make. This is the one I toured, if you are interested. https://www.kfpiowa.com/

Joe2007 likes this.
  11. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Many thanks for the info. Either Maysville, KY or Cincinnati seems to be within the scope of the collection I purchased this out of. The guy had an encyclopedic collection including many cool RPPC cards. I am thrilled to be able to purchase some for my collection.

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

I think that the gentleman, 2nd from the right, with the beard, is a leprechaun.......

Draft saved Draft deleted