Copeland-Spode Mark - Great Britain?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bakersgma, May 30, 2015.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I bought a plate in the Rosebud Chintz pattern at an estate sale this morning. It has the "old" mark (Copeland over a rectangle with Spode across it) but instead of saying "England" under the rectangle (as appears on my inherited India Tree set that was purchased in the 50's) it says "Great Britain." I tried looking at The Potteries site but did find anything about this usage. Anyone know the significance of the difference?

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Interesting. Nothing in Godden about it, and I need to go find the other references. I strongly suspect it's a later mark. Any chance of a photo?

3. Bakersgma

Sorry, camera is currently out of juice. Hope to have it back in use in a couple hours.

One thing it will be almost impossible to see in a picture is that it does have the usual impressed Copeland Spode mark as well.

And it has "Rosebud Chintz" printed (in pink of course) and no design number painted on by a decorator. In case that helps sooner than the picture does. ;)

4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Replacements.com dates Rosebud Chintz 1954-71.

5. Bakersgma

Thanks, janetp, I did already see that. The question is why it says "Great Britain" instead of "England" under the mark. More a case of being curious, than anything. I have lots of Copeland Spode and "just plain Spode" china around the house, but every single one says England. Why is this one different? I had no earthly reason to buy this little plate beyond curiosity. :wacky:

6. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Hi, Baker. I checked all my Spode which includes a dinner set of "India Tree." All my Spode has the Copeland, square/rectangle with Spode, England, India Tree backstamp or the plain Spode, England, ...959, India Tree, etc... backstamp. The "India Tree" with the Copeland, square Spode and England were wedding gifts from 1966. The plain Spode backstamp was on a few pieces of "India Tree" to fill out the set we bought in 1972 at a Duty Free store in Montego Bay, Jamaica.

Doing a little online search found most if not all the Spode "Gainsborough" has the Copeland, rectangle Spode, **Great Britain** backstamp. I could find no explanation for it.
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/GREAT-BRITAI...095?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46084018c7

Here are Rosebud dishes on rubyland. The description of the backstamp is:

"Stamped with the 20th century earthenware mark in pink 'Copeland - Spode - England or Great Britain - Rosebud Chintz'."
    http://www.rubylane.com/item/200043-RL0002053/Set-4-Copeland-Spode-x22Rosebud-Chintzx22

Again no explanation of why.

--- Susan

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

If you start wondering why a stamp gets changed, you will be having many sleepless nights. The dates of all the patterns I found with this stamp are pretty modern.

8. Bakersgma

Not quite that obsessed, janetpjohn. ;)

Thanks for looking, Susan and for those links. The Rosebud Chintz listing shows the same marking as mine. You saved me from having to deal with pictures. ;)

So whatever the reason - maybe even political? - some of them say Great Britain and that's that. :)

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Someone probably pointed out that as a country of origin mark it was much like stamping 'Alberta' on a Canadian piece as the correct name is 'The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland', commonly shortened to either United Kingdom or Great Britain.

England is a region in the UK, not a country.

Bakersgma likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

I suspect it has much to do with it being post WW2 and the massive export drives then. Festival of Britain and all that.

Bakersgma likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

Thanks Bear and AF. That makes a lot of sense.

12. Ownedbybear

Draft saved Draft deleted