Copper candle holders

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Misterke123, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Misterke123

Misterke123 Member

Hello,

i have 3 candle holders, the pair on the right are English and old but the one with the thin body is very different, i think turkish? But i doubt its real antique

can anyone tell me what style and or period it is? I m not very familiar with copper/brass antiquities

thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Just a little explanation. In Dutch/Flemish we call this metal alloy either 'messing' or 'geel koper', yellow copper. 'Messing' is brass in English, and the English language sticks to that, no messing around with brass.:playful:

Figtree3 and Misterke123 like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The metal looks like brass, not copper.

Misterke123 likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I once had a pair of English aesthetic period candlesticks circa 1890 that were very similar in form but embellished with insects. Consequently, this could be English with Eastern influence or possibly Anglo-Indian. I am by no means a candlestick expert so wait for input here from others who may have more expertise.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of a pair very similar to the ones I had. This is from 1st dibs and now sold. The Dutch seller believed them to be French so now I am less sure of origin. Mine had a stippled background texture to the base and center ball that these do not have. These are marked with 70B on the bases. Mine were unmarked. Everyone I showed them to thought English in origin and I may have found another pair at the time.

[​IMG]

Source:
    https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...candlesticks-beetle-decoration/id-f_15999611/

6. Misterke123

Misterke123 Member

Hi thanks for the replies, very interesting! They are pretty much the same as those @verybrad shared. I searched for similar objects but i couldnt find them,

and yes its an alloy but i tend to say copper to everything in that category.