Coral and brass necklace - where and when?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by aaroncab, Feb 11, 2020.

1. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Hello hello.

Found this coral "bib" necklace on the bargain rack at Savers yesterday.

The beads are each between 4.5 and 6.5 mm diameter. There's over 230 of them!

Sooo...does anything in the design/construction give away where it's from, or how old?

Thanks as always for having a look!

The length of the inner strand from clasp ends is 17.5 inches.

20200210_215208.jpg 20200210_215436.jpg 20200210_215335.jpg 20200210_215214.jpg

KSW likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Aaron, are you sure the beads are coral?
    It is a very attractive fashion necklace based on Middle Eastern etc. necklaces.
    It could have been made in India for a Western clothing brand, as a nice accessory.

judy, KSW and aaroncab like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bit Jordanian, hm?

KSW and aaroncab like this.
  4. aaroncab

Pretty sure...looked under 10x magnification...didnt look glass...def not plastic - too cold. If they're something else I'm not sure what they'd be. I'll get better close up pics tonight to show why they strike me as coral.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    komokwa likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Those strings of beads on triangular connectors are seen throughout the Middle East. Sometimes in Central Asia and North Africa as well. But the triangles are always nicely decorated, and never that very Modernist hammered brass.

Both these necklaces are from Yemen, silver and coral glass tile beads for the first one, silver and Mediterranean red coral for the second. They prefer salmon coral, as do most traditional 'coral countries':
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Pat P, Xristina, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Aaron, try a little lemon juice on the beads. If you see bubbles, it could be coral.

judy, Pat P, Xristina and 2 others like this.
  7. aaroncab

Thanks again AJ - I tried some lemon juice, and for good measure a little vinegar, no detectable reaction, at least with my eyesight. I'm going to chalk these up as random dyed rock for now. Not coral - fake coral - fauxral?

Anyway, thank you once again for your keen eye and encyclopedic knowledge!

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Perfect!:D
    I think it is glass.

aaroncab and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted