Coral branch and Turquoise chunk necklace…

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by bluumz, Oct 15, 2020.

1. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Picked this up at the thrift today. A close look at the clasp indicates there was probably a third strand originally. The back of the clasp is marked Silver, however it has a brassy gold tone to it. Some of the tiny spacer beads have lost their golden coating.
    Measures 20 inches.
    Now I am no expert but even I feel confident this is true coral. What about the turquoise? Any idea of the age? Origin? Should I do a happy dance despite the missing strand? Or should I take it apart and sell the bits?
    All info welcome, thanks!

0892BFC3-C859-4071-AFD9-1E65C2B6C0C7.jpeg C18D255F-85DF-455E-A703-432681DC6D62.jpeg A6045AB5-6879-4267-9210-0F720F8FD258.jpeg DE746D17-3E7B-43D4-B9E2-F3B5186E01BF.jpeg 28967563-1DEC-4EA9-A349-DBA1610EAA81.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    stracci and Bronwen like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It's legit coral and turquoise. The turquoise might be old Chinese or something. The clasp is probably a replacement and there was never a third string. The bead caps look like brass and the "gold" spacers look like they were originally plated. I'd cheerfully sell it as is.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks! Any idea on age? And is this considered Native American?

Bronwen likes this.
  4. evelyb30

Wild guess ... 1970s, assuming the clasp was a replacement. Not even close to Native American.

5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I should’ve said Native American style. I’ve seen it described that way… Or southwestern. I have no idea, really. :bored:

Bronwen likes this.
  6. evelyb30

The turquoise nuggets and coral mixed. Some folks would say Tibetan instead. I was thinking Coldwater Creek.(LOL)

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I’d say Chinese and OK to say Southwestern style but absolutely not fine to say NA style.

kyratango, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  8. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Check all the jump rings. Some have pulled open. I'm not 100% confident the cab in the clasp is genuine coral. Try it against your teeth & see if you can detect a very slight grittiness, or if it's totally the way you expect glass to feel.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The cab looks carnelian.

Bronwen likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The components are nice, but something isn't right. It looks like someone took two 1920s-30s Mediterranean coral necklaces, restrung them adding the turqoise and goldtone spacer beads, and stuck the strands on a pink coral clasp they had lying around.
    The coral necklaces could even have been older, it is usually the antique ones that have round barrel beads mixed in near the clasp.

The end caps look original to the Mediterranean coral necklaces, so they could have cut the thread and tied a piece in between the two ends to add the other beads.

The brassy tone on the silver clasp could be the remains of gilding.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    reader and Bronwen like this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I’ve looked at it under my loupe and I don’t think it is coral either. It feels smooth against my teeth. Could even be plastic. I’ll post a couple more photos below.

Mediterranean coral, not Chinese?
    If it’s been pieced together, is it still best to sell as is or take apart and sell the components? Some of the coral branches are quite thick pieces.
    And some of the turquoise bits are a horrible color.
    EDIT: Hmmm, looked at some coral branch bits on bEtsy... quite cheap. Hopefully I get a return on my $12 US spent!

1DA409FC-4ACA-441D-8730-355DDB2C6B33.jpeg CD606858-69D8-4F10-9B13-630C4364FB38.jpeg CEFA6CD2-31F9-4E8F-B443-E8521E21BCAE.jpeg
    5A2CA157-A7E3-4A8F-886A-53C73238288D.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Not Chinese.:)
    Yes, they are, not much interest in coral branch necklaces.:(
    Try a drop of lemon juice on it. If it is coral, you will see tiny bubbles appear. Make sure you wash it off afterwards, we don't want any acid damage.

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  13. evelyb30

Don't bother doing it to the beads; there isn't much question about those. The clasp ... I'm honestly not sure.

Bronwen and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted