Featured Coral & hair Victorian brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KSW, Nov 30, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

The postman brought me this lovely this morning :)
    The photos on the listing weren’t very clear and I did wonder if I’d bought a wannabe but it wasn’t expensive and took a chance and now I’ve got it in my hand I think it’s ok?.
    I liked it as it’s unusual but that also stumps my research - I can find plenty of mourning brooches with coral surrounding a hair compartment but none in a little lockety thing like this.
    It doesn’t open and I’m wondering if it’s more to show love of someone more that a mourning brooch as it seems a little cheerful for that?
    I remember coral is a symbol of good health but any ideas on the significance of the leaves?.
    It tests as silver although it has a gold tinge to it so maybe all started life as bright gold like the inside?.
    Late 1800’s? Or am I way off?
    Only marking I can see is CS inside the glass. Was wondering if that was Cornelius Saunders ( great name that) but most I’ve looked at are stamped CS & FS so I may be going astray. Can’t see any other markings although they may be under the gubbins inside.
    Love to hear your thoughts
    Thankyou :)
    7663E8DA-D757-4087-B92A-7B3AA81D79DC.jpeg 532C14F7-4770-4429-BE12-D22858A5ABFA.jpeg 324BCAED-8A2A-44DD-BF8C-FF17224D9C86.jpeg 4DCA8991-3F71-49B2-83E6-4D640B7F9872.jpeg 33859792-9089-4D33-BBE1-43549BE45129.jpeg FA0F2BF5-E66D-4DDD-9E90-C4089158CD81.jpeg

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think that's mistletoe leaves. Means health, long life, fertility. Coral is protection from evil: it was tradition to give babies a coral necklace and hence coral rattles too. It's too bling to be mourning, I'd say.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I cannot add more to Bear's assessment, agree. Am curious to know how large it is?
    Are the coral beads strung in there behind the glass, do they slightly move inside?

I would never have come up with mistletoe leaves, thanks, Bear. I thought it looked like a seed from a maple tree, until Bear mentioned mistletoe.

judy, KSW, ulilwitch and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

I'm lucky enough to have mistletoe on an ancient apple tree in my garden!

Xristina, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It’s just over an inch across Anti. The coral beads are strung on wire.
    Thanks OBB, I wouldn’t have thought of mistletoe either.
    Do you think I am correct about the appropriate date?

kyratango and judy like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

I think spot on with the date. 1880s ish. I'm thinking it's a baby commemorative.

7. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It's unusual, I've never seen anything similar. Agree, it's sentimental jewelry, not mourning.

kyratango, judy and KSW like this.
  8. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I like unusual!
    Glad I was on the date! Some of the knowledge is starting to stick :bookworm:.
    It would be a logical deduction that it’s a baby thing rather than in memory.

9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

And that's why I like YOU!

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ditto
    :kiss:

Draft saved Draft deleted