Featured Cornflower Cup & Saucer

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DonnaW, Dec 8, 2023.

1. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

Hello Everyone,

Hoping someone can help me to identify this Cup and saucer. Unfortunately, I no background information on this set because it was part of a collection in an auction.
    The pattern seems to very familiar for some reason.
    I think it may be an Asian tea set...not sure...Also, the maker's mark is impressed, however, I am not able to make out any of (what appears to be) very faint blue letters on the bottom of the middle impression. They could be characters that look like letters. The first two look like the letter "S" and "K".

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, Donna. I have collected a few pieces in this style called "stick spatter." I have both English and Belgian pieces. I don't see this as Asian.

Figtree3, kentworld, cxgirl and 3 others like this.
  3. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

=======================================
    Hi Bakersgma - Honestly I wasn't able to tell by the mark on the bottom of the bowl because at first I thought it was a number "4". I was lost after that. I will search again under the keywords you provided....thanks so much!!

cxgirl likes this.
  4. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

One question if you don't mind please...Are you able to dertermine an approximate age range on this? Thank you :happy:

Figtree3 and cxgirl like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

============================

Hi Debora, You are the BEST!!!! THank you so very much! I've been searching for the longest time on this piece. And of course, now that you say Sewell, I can all of a sudden see it! haha.. Thank you again! :):woot:

cxgirl, johnnycb09 and Debora like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I don't know if you've found information on Sewell or not but this has some. I'd say yours would fit lustreware.

https://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/4194

"The pottery at St. Anthony's was established in 1780, possibly built by Thomas Lewins. James King & Co who were also interested in several glass works, were probably the first lessees and potters. In May 1784 the pottery was damaged by fire. In 1786 James King was bankrupt. In 1787 Chatto and Griffith took over the lease, but William Chatto was bankrupt by 1795. William Huntley took over. In 1800 the pottery changed hands again, taken over by Foster and Cutter. St Anthony's Pottery was bought by Joseph Sewell from Foster and Cutter around 1821. He made earthenware, creamware, queen's ware and gold, silver and pink lustreware, pierced wicker baskets and filigree plates. Sewell had a flourishing trade with the continent, principally in pink lustreware jugs. The firm's successors were Sewell and Donkin (from 1821) and Sewell and Company (from 1853). They also made transfer-printed wares, doll's tea sets. Creamware tea and coffee sets, printed with black or red Danish motifs, such as buildings in Copenhagen or Elsinore, scenes or portraits, were exported to the continent. When the company closed in 1878 some of the stock was bought by J. Wood of the Stepney Pottery"

Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
  8. DonnaW

DonnaW Member

============================================

Thank you so very much S.I.S.!!
    The hard part for me was trying to determine the type of pottery this is. You all have been such a blessing in providing such wonderful details. I am very grateful for the kind people on this fantastic website! Thank you again! :happy:

Figtree3, cxgirl, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted