Cost to rewire a three way Fenton gwtw lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kellaurm, Nov 14, 2023.

1. kellaurm

kellaurm Well-Known Member

Does anyone know an average cost for this, or if my husband might be able to do it if I purchase the parts?

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Rather simple for someone with no experience to do

3. kellaurm

kellaurm Well-Known Member

Is there a good guide anywhere? I don’t even know if the switch needs replacing but the turnkey isn’t turning anything on, so probably?

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

There are videos all over youtube on doing this. While I didn't watch the entire thing, this one looks pretty thorough:

Figtree3, bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Here’s my ten cents… Safely and properly rewiring old lamps (which weren’t built as safely as new lamps to start with) requires a working knowledge of electricity and AC wiring and access to the right tools and supplies. In general I think YouTube is good for some things but can never tell you everything you need to know unless you watch enough of the ones that are actually correct and already have some background with what you are doing. If you want it done safely find someone knowledgeable to do it or coach you through it (unless husband is skilled already)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I've successfully rewired many lamps. Since the wiring and lamp socket are being completely replaced with new, it's a simple and safe thing to do. But I wouldn't suggest mixing new wiring and old socket, or old wiring a new socket, etc.
    GWTW lamps may need different stuff than a standard lamp, however. Would this fit your needs?

https://diylightingsupplies.com/lam...ewiring-kit-for-gone-with-the-wind-style-lamp

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.

pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  8. sabre123

I don't know what part of the lamps you're referring to, but those older light sockets were built like tanks and were well-insulated.

Great points. I have re-used some sockets after inspecting. Also, if you can find the innards that fit the old shell, you can keep some of the authenticity of the piece reusing the old shell while replacing the faulty electrical component. Definitely never reuse old wiring.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  9. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Some more details:
    1. Newer lights and new replacement cord sets) use polarized plugs and cords ( you need to understand how to identify the hot wire and which terminal to connect it to)
    2. Newer lights use bushings to protect the wire from sharp edges as it goes through the lamp- add these to old lamps
    3. As mentioned use new parts and wire as old insulation and sockets are often charred or hardened from age
    4. Use an “underwriters knot” to strain relief the cord as it leaves the socket.
    5. If you need to splice wires use properly rated wire nuts or crimp caps and follow instructions for them
    6. Don’t cut wire strands when stripping wire, and check for unsecured strands
    7. When done check with a meter for any issues
    8. Probably a few other things but I need more coffee now :)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  10. sabre123

Good points, Joe. I noticed that the video I posted didn't include the Underwriter's knot. That's something I always do.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Is it an easy thing to remove the plastic on/off switch that comes with the wiring kit and replace it with the original key switch? Also, aren't most Fenton GWTW lamps fairly contemporary?

Draft saved Draft deleted