Featured costume jewellery pendant, or something nicer

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by charlie cheswick, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

That looks GREAT AJ !!! .. PERFECT .... Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

It's very beautiful ... Joy.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you, Joy.
    The chain part fits just around the neck, so it looks very flattering when worn. It is also amazingly lightweight.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

fangs for the info Aj

ive still got a sneaking suspicion that mine might be silver, ill get my friend to test just to make sure

the brassy looking areas on my pendant were not base metal showing through, they polished right off.

i always buy stuff that isnt hallmarked, just if i have a feeling about them

one little cherub has something stamped on his head it, small, but will have a closer look

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

You could be right, and testing is always good.
    Just make sure your friend doesn't use testing acid directly on the pendant, but uses a ceramic testing stone. If it isn't solid silver, acid could ruin the pendant.
    Here is how you use a testing stone, you rub an inconspicuous part of the pendant on the stone until a metal stripe appears. A drop of the liquid is placed on the stripe. The colour tells you the silver content, if any.

Small glass cabochons, like your small turquoise coloured ones, were often used in silver and even gold in most of Central Europe and the Balkans.

In Bohemia decorative glass, like your central cabochon, was usually set in brass which was sometimes gilded, but the Bohemians also set decorative glass in silver.
    There were strict guild regulations which ruled that only silversmiths could use precious metals and stones. 'Gürtler', a different group of jewellery makers, were only allowed to use (gilt) brass and glass.
    Of course the rules were broken sometimes, and there was some cooperation between silversmiths and Gürtler.
    Bohemia was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire. Later it became part of Czecho-Slovakia. During both periods the region was internationally renowned for jewellery manufacture.

Will you let us know the result?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  6. charlie cheswick

yeah of course, i want to see if he has any crosses that will match it better as well

so will let you know

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. charlie cheswick

sort of good news

tested for 800 silver, not sterling

have been looking at other types of austro hungarian pieces which are also 800, so seems to all tie in

that was a great shout Aj, youre a marvel !!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

:shame::happy:

Very good news, charlie. Yes, Austro-Hungarian pieces are mostly 800.
    And very collectible, so.....best to put the two dangles back and look for something that looks Austro-Hungarian to put in the centre.

Or

Attach a short chain to the rings, going from one ring to another, festoon style. Then hang one dangle from the centre ring. The chain will hang in two loops on either side.
    A bit like this, which is ca 1950 Austrian. In your case it would all be on the one pendant of course.
    [​IMG]

Whatever you do, please forget about the crucifix, any crucifix....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    charlie cheswick likes this.
  9. charlie cheswick

yeah no worries aj, thanks for the advice

the crucifix idea was just so that i could wear my cross and the pendant together

but its to nice to wear now, especially with my history of losing things !!

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted