Could anyone tell me if this is a new Chinese watercolor and age or artist?

Discussion in 'Art' started by alynnfin, Jan 15, 2023.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

This Chinese watercolor looks hand done, but how do I tell if it is or if it is reproduced? I am not an art expert but think it has great detail and the colors are draw your eye to it. The frame, although done a Joanne's, is very heavy wood and they have spent a great deal on matting, so the frame or back of frame won't help any id. The frame measures 60"x36". I also cannot read any Chinese calligraphy. I do not know if this is an antique, I doubt that, but? And any help directing to size to determine value. I got a thrift shop. Thank you so much. IMG_0466__1673809065_70735.jpg IMG_0467__1673809090_38408.jpg IMG_0468__1673809129_84801.jpg IMG_0467__1673809090_38408.jpg IMG_0468__1673809129_84801.jpg Any info would be appreciate.

2. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

One way would be to look at it with a loop or magnifying glass. It is double matted which can be a good sign in my books. You should see a rough texture and smooth brush strokes. I know they print copies on watercolor paper.

judy likes this.
  3. alynnfin

Thank you. I do see texture in the painting. I do not think I see the bumps of the watercolor paper that I had to look up to see what it is. Don't they get texture in the repros anymore? Could it be a woodcut or something like that? I mean I want original, don't get me wrong. I just want to know for sure or how to research further.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
    judy likes this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

This isn't woodblock or an antique style. You could try posting it to the translator subreddit for more info on the caligraphy.

The framing only means that someone really enjoyed it in order to frame it. People frame lots of tourist purchases.

judy likes this.
  5. alynnfin

Thank you. I tried to put it on Google's translator subreddit and it blocked my post. I just asked for help translating Chinese into English and that I thought it might be the artist's name with a photo of the calligraphy. Any idea what I did wrong? Thanks.

6. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

7. alynnfin

I finally got it on the translator and a helpful person replied it read
    The Sounds of the Pine Tree, Wind, & Stream
    Made during the Cycle of Gengchen in the Year of the Yang Metal Dragon
    in a month in Autumn
    So looking up the latest Chinese dragon years, it could be 1952, 1964, 1976, 1988, 2000, 2012. Am 90% thinking it is newer, just have no clue as to how they would paint it with strokes showing. Unless, they had the background preprinted and just added key elements. I wish I was an art expert.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    mirana likes this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

If you could get a more zoomed in photo or two, I could give you a better idea. "Retouched" prints have been a thing since forever, but they're easy to spot on close inspection. I wish I could see it in person hah but all I can do is zoom.

kyratango likes this.
  9. alynnfin

Mirana, I am a horrible photographer, especially with glass in front of it. I just ordered a new jeweler's loupe, old bad eyes. I will be able to tell, I think, once I get it. I've laid 2 on counters & then they were gone. The Reddit site is awesome. Thank you so much! Someone else on Reddit said the painters name was Zhao Zhen. I will try to look up but not great at that. Does anyone have access to anything with that name? Obviously could be made up name, but someone did put in a lot of detail, that I can see. Have confirmation from 2 other Reddit users that the name of the piece.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
    mirana likes this.
  10. alynnfin

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  11. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I haven't lost a loupe yet, but I've managed to tear my fairly organized home apart twice looking for one of the two I have. They just blend in! It's like losing your car keys lol. Chinese painting isn't my exact forte but I can tell antique from not. It does look fairly modern in style.

You can also try https://www.reddit.com/r/WhatIsThisPainting/ to see if anyone recognizes it.

Draft saved Draft deleted