Featured Could the center stones in this brooch and earrings be saphiret?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Lizzie, Jul 29, 2022.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie All you need is love ...and a dog.

They have a white (ish) stripe that moves with the light but they are a gray/blue color not brown as I have seen saphiret described. The brooch is marked 128 but I haven't been able to turn up any meaning to that number. If not saphiret, what would be they called? Thanks for looking and for any opinions or directions on where to research.

Resize 1.JPG
    Resize 2.JPG
    Resize 3.JPG

KSW, George Chaney, judy and 5 others like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They are chatoyant glass, popular in Czech items and exported widely. In effect they are manmade cats-eyes and come in lots of colours mimicking some types of moonstone, chrysoberyl etc.

KSW, George Chaney, judy and 7 others like this.
  3. Lizzie

Thank you for that information Ce BCA. Very helpful.

KSW, judy, pearlsnblume and 2 others like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Nice pieces.
    Interesting the way the center bit on the brooch is anchored. Does it move a tiny bit?

KSW and judy like this.
  5. Lizzie

MOS, no movement at all. It certainly is unusual. I do wonder what the 128 mark means. I haven't found anything with a number like that. I am assuming the set is not European made due to that number.

judy and moreotherstuff like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was going to say moonglow glass, but catseye is probably accurate.

judy likes this.
  7. Lizzie

My first thought was moonglow as well, but they are definitely gray not blue.

judy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Made to kinda sorta look like blue or black star sapphires, most likely.

judy likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I wonder whether the 128 was for the brand of "vintage looking" costume pieces from the 80s-90s?

judy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

There's one called 1928, but I think in this case it's a design number.

judy likes this.
  11. Lizzie

Definitely not the 1928 Company. They have a distinctive pattern on the backs of their pieces. I think this set is older anyway, 1950's-1960's. I appreciate all the help. I imagine it is a design number. The earrings have no marks at all.

judy likes this.
  12. evelyb30

I'd think 50s too. No idea who used a 3 digit serial number then.

judy likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Some British makers numbered their pieces. Sphinx springs to mind.

bercrystal likes this.
  14. Lizzie

Thanks OBB. That suggestion sent me down a rabbit hole. I didn't find anything that matches this set but it was an enjoyable trip. They made some beautiful jewelry.

bercrystal likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Didn't they just!

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Could it be Schreiner?
    Their jewellery is often constructed with two loops on the reverse to hold it all together but I haven’t studied enough to know if it’s exactly the same as this. There is a Schreiner group on FB which is useful for comparison. There is also schreinery.com . Not sure if theirs have model numbers on either so not sure if any of that is of help or completely irrelevant!.

17. evelyb30

I don't think Schreiner numbered their pieces.

18. Ownedbybear

Just had a thought. That 1 is a European one. And indeed, I had a numbered brooch a while back in the same style.

bercrystal likes this.
  19. Lizzie

Sorry to be so belated in responding to the two threads I posted, yesterday was a crazy day. I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on this set.

KSW-thank you for the lead on Schreiner. I researched the attributes of Schreiner pieces and while these have some elements (like the dog tooth settings) seen in Schreiner, they don't quite make it. For instance, Schreiner used an actual "hook and eye" connection not the double ring construction that is on the back of my brooch.

I thought the flower shaped "cups" holding the outer rhinestones were quite distinctive on the brooch and tried to chase that feature down but had no luck.

OBB-I think your suggestion that it could be European is really valid. Could be Czech as they made pieces with construction similar to Schreiner so I am leaning towards a European origin.

Again, a big thank you to all for your time and suggestions.

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted