Could this be African?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by JBo, Aug 19, 2020.

1. JBo

JBo Active Member

15EA93BF-0BB4-4195-8AF5-AC68F4E60794.jpeg 0F65B2F6-AD98-4496-85FA-3C339DC4BE3F.jpeg Not sure what it is — a cuff bracelet perhaps? Made of...iron?

I think it came from Democratic Republic of Congo (then Belgian Congo) in 1950s...but I could be completely wrong!

reader likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

might have been taken off a dead person......that dent took a lot of force....

hey.....ya gotta give us size info....everytime...
    i thought it was a pot at 1st glance........
    c'mon........help us , to help you !!!!!

reader, Christmasjoy and Aquitaine like this.
  3. JBo

JBo Active Member

Oops! 4.25” diameter; 3.5” high...

komokwa likes this.
  4. reader

reader Well-Known Member

LOVE it. I believe it’s bronze and a money cuff. They were used as currency along with money swords. Your info is correct. It’s from the Congo and made by the Ekonda. Definitely have the metal checked. Iron and copper were also used but I think yours is bronze but I’m no expert on this stuff. I just like it a lot and have a bit of knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Houseful and JBo like this.
  5. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I just searched Ekonda cuff and a twin came up!

JBo likes this.
  6. JBo

JBo Active Member

Thank you — that is really neat, I appreciate your sleuthing!!

7. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I used to collect that stuff but I gave most of it up long ago although I kept my money swords. I’ve always felt that stuff was so cool-I started collecting African in the 70s but the cuffs were just too heavy for me to wear although they make great objects and can be put on a small stand/base.

The pieces that I did keep were also Congo but Mfunte.

8. JBo

JBo Active Member

The cuff is too large (and v heavy, as you say) to wear, but it has a presence about it.

Just looked up money swords - gorgeous!

reader likes this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

They were worn on the ankle but I had an unusually small one that I could actually wear but it was crazy heavy and turned me green!

I still think African sculpture art is the be all and end all and to me your cuff is an African sculpture and I’d use that word if you’re selling it with cuff and bracelet. Look how incredibly Modernist it is. So many of the great 40s-60s modern artists like Picasso, Dubuffet etc etc collected African sculpture and to me it’s so direct how Africa influenced their art.

10. JBo

JBo Active Member

I agree with you — it is very Modern and gorgeous and a nice memory of my dad, who worked there briefly...

I will keep it — it is small but mighty ;)

11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Got an interesting tile or base? Just set it out as an object. Your dad bought a very cool piece and on a piece like that the ding doesn’t bother me.The cuff is old and that could been done with honest wear and to me it just becomes part of the history of the piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted