Country rococo table: age?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bluemoon, Jun 8, 2016.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I'm slightly possibly considering buying this lovely table.

It's about 30 inches (76cm) high.

How old is it? Do you think it's common or rare? Desirable as a collectible?

@verybrad

43bdd649-daae-f13d-bf83-818b53088380.jpg 2a93812d-5763-5209-f9c1-bcf8a37af8aa.jpg

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Without seeing the underside, back, insides of drawers, it's hard to be totally sure. I'm not seeing any real age on it.

KingofThings, lauragarnet and Ruedi like this.
  3. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I get more of an Asian vibe...
    And I love it!

EDIT
    Looks like an Opium Table inspiration...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
    KingofThings, komokwa and lauragarnet like this.
  4. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It looks like the kind of table you say: "Come here, Table!" to and it runs across the room and waits patiently in front of you in that slightly humorous position it stands in.. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it has character.

5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Absolutely!
    Like a character in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice"!

6. evelyb30

Or Beauty and the Beast!

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I don't see Rococo. Asian in origin and not all that old. Probably China but could be from elsewhere.

KingofThings and lauragarnet like this.
  8. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Based on what I've been told, it's a swedish rococo -inspired table from the early 1800s.

Which is very different from what you are all saying. But.

People on this forum have been very wrong about nordic antiques before (cough cough.. the empire sconces that someone said were from a christmas shop or 'vintage last week') so it's reasonable to assume that is the case.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Scones?
    YUM!!!!! :)

10. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Let's not make this into a thing, although it has happened twice now (the typo)

:dead:

KingofThings likes this.
  11. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Promise...no more fun today.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Then, educate us ;)

Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  13. evelyb30

It's also much harder to be sure of some items without being able to examine them in person. What something looks like in a photo, squared for a low resolution photo, and what it is can be two different things.

14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

I thought it was Asian because it so closely resembled the "opium table" piece we looked at a while back. If you Google "opium style table" you'll see some examples. And I did go and Google a lot of "Swedish rococo revival"... they all seem to have dainty legs that do curve out and then in, but they then move back out for that delicate "perching" effect.
    No disrespect to your table. As I said, I like it!

bluemoon likes this.
  15. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It's not mine. I've been just thinking about buying it.

16. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh yeah... I forgot.

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

So then.....why ask around here?
    If you assume the opinions here will be wrong , false or incorrect, based on what....one thread....or two.....& you've been told something very different by someone else that we're not seeing.......why even bother to bring this type of item to our attention...?

It's a nice table and if you want it I say go ahead and buy it.........& then show it here , and back up what you've been told about it , with photo's of other similar examples......so we can learn stuff.

Aquitaine and SBSVC like this.
  18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I can't see anything rococo about it. Rococo is the antithesis of plain and this is essentially plain.

Not saying I don't like it.

19. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Country people in Sweden and other countries nearby wouldn't have been able to afford elaborate furniture. It's a whole different scheme. Things were much more plain and folk-arty.
    The degree of ornamentation varied hugely between classes of society and even different regions had their own signature elements.

Here's a typical mid-19th century swedish country rococo chair:

[​IMG]

And re-painted late 18th century tables:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  20. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

Upon further analysis I'd say @verybrad and @GaleriaGila that by googleing it, I wasn't able to find anything that looked even slightly similar to this, called

All the Asian tables I viewed on Google had more shapely "feet" (compare to the flat ones of the table in question)

However, according to the sellers, the table was originally (before they re-finished it) red toned brown.

One theory suggests it's a swedish 18th-19th century rococo table that was originally higher and someone chopped the feet at some point. Can you imagine that? The table is around 72cm high though, so I don't know if it could have been much higher to begin with.. But see the second example down below, it has the same silhouette and probably isn't modified either.

Some examples of mid-late 18th c. and early 19th c. rococo tables from Sweden:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted