Featured Couple of mystery knives

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Aug 28, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Wondering if anyone has a good idea of where either of these knives may have originated? Knife one has a unique wooden grip and blade. I’m guessing someone can ID the wood which should narrow down origin. Second is a horn grip with a unique guard area. The grip had me thinking Africa but the guard area is pretty interesting and has me wondering. Photos taken as dusk set in so they are a bit grainy. FABE1DF8-7249-43E5-ADC5-71801D12FD91.jpeg 747CB958-31F8-4A4A-AD5A-8CDEBDECBCDA.jpeg 3000051C-4726-4501-B38F-CDDCA8857E1F.jpeg AF444EDA-9398-4053-ABA9-FD658017094D.jpeg

2. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

#1 looks like a bamboo root:cyclops:

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The second one looks North African, perhaps Tuareg.

kyratango, bercrystal and J Dagger like this.
  4. J Dagger

I kept thinking bamboo too but was too lazy to follow that thought last night. Bad Dagger!!

5. J Dagger

That makes sense. African but on the slightly more technical design end of the continent generally speaking.

6. J Dagger

Maybe southeast Asian? The whole thing kind of gave me that general feel. It may be hard to tell in the photo maybe but the blade definitely has a primitive feel to it.

kyratango likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The second one is Middle Eastern. My brother had a similar one from Lebanon.

Boland, 2manybooks and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted