Featured Couple of Silver Bangles for ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ce BCA, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Hi all, good to see all back to normal now, I could read posts but not answer, so if I missed anyone just ping me again and I'll try and help.

Picked up a few bangles this week, firstly a pure silver and turquoise, just marked silver 1000, looks Middle East to me, but any thoughts or specifics
    welcome:

IMG_20220721_111218424.jpg IMG_20220721_111225684.jpg IMG_20220721_111231548.jpg IMG_20220721_111243043.jpg

Also another bangle, no marks at all, tests as sterling silver or better, again looks Middle Eastern to me with the dome decoration, but I can't narrow it down further.

IMG_20220721_111304924.jpg IMG_20220721_111310621.jpg IMG_20220721_111316689.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Both are beautiful, but both are also modern and adjusted to modern (Western?) taste. If they were traditional, they would be easier to place.
    It is a pretty generic style, could have been made anywhere between Morocco and India.;) With the 1000 fineness, I would guess Indian made, probably for the Middle Eastern market. @Ownedbybear , what do you think?
    I'm not really seeing domes, and it looks like another Indian bangle to me. The design underneath the smooth bands looks like an Indian amulet case.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  3. Any Jewelry

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Many thanks, I certainly can see Rajasthan influence now you have mentioned it. The dome styling looked a little like mosque domes when I was considering the style.

The turquoise one has a bit of history, supposedly brought back from Aden (early post war tour of duty) and came with a very nice Siwa cuff (Egyptian marks) same source. If correct it's also likely late 40's or 50's in period. I'll probably stick with generic mid east for it in absence of anything specific given the history, and the cabs do have that Persian look.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Aden has strong trade and cultural ties with India.;)
    Have you tested them? That beautiful blue is favoured in many parts of the world, and rightly so.
    Persian turquoise is also found worldwide.

Ce BCA likes this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Tested the metal - yes. Tested the stones, no, there isn't any easy test for original source of turquoise. Studied under the microscope, yes and they are turquoise and not glass for example.

antidiem likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Agree, you can't test for origin at home, most of us wouldn't have the equipment.;) But you can test for turquoise, and if they test as such, that's good.

Ce BCA likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The stones do look like turquoise to me, very pretty bangles.

Ce BCA likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm late. I'd agree on India and as aj rightly says, Aden has links. Did it actually test as pure? That would surprise me, bit soft. I also think Persian stones.

Any Jewelry, Figtree3 and Ce BCA like this.
  10. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes it's very soft and does seem right compared with other pure silver items I've had, acid also suggests it's probably correct, both with silver test acid and 18k gold acid. I don't have an XRF gun for 100% confirmation but pretty sure it's right.

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

They are beautiful!

Draft saved Draft deleted