Covered jar with saucer, What was this used for?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Potterygal, Jan 2, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Cluttered is correct, evaporated milk is the proper term. Carnation still makes it. My uncle used to pour it from the can onto his cereal if I remember correctly. It was what they call "shelf stable" so you didn't have to worry about it spoiling. My great uncle Charlie would have grown up before refrigeration was common. I think he was just used to it.

I agree that it's hobbyist painted on a Hutschenreuter blank. A lot of Hutschenreuter white ware must have been imported since it seems to have been a popular blank for hobbyists.
    Don

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Clutteredcloset,
    It was used for both. Evaporated milk was used for coffee and tea and making baby formula. Condensed was used for both but again used for baking mostly except for those who had a 'sweet tooth". I remember my Gram punching a couple of holes in condensed milk and boiling the can in water in a pan until it caramelized. Used it a homemade pudding. I used it a lot in making snow ice cream for my nephews. Take a large bowl of fresh snow stir in the condensed milk until it made a thick sludge. The kids loved it.
    greg

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

So does PET.
    We still take it camping.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That's what my Dad always used in his coffee....Evap....

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yups, used for both evaporated and condensed. Ma used to spread the latter on bread.

That caramel is best made by not punching holes in the tin!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

Not sure I would boil today's cans. They're lined with a plastic coating. Old tin cans were lined with zinc.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

I think you would put evap in a creamer, wouldn't you, instead of spooning it from a can?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ah, but even now, cans are treated to boiling point for the purposes of preservation. Google on dulce de leche, you'll see!

9. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

It's what we call "confiture de lait" in my region, but we don't use that in tee or coffee.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Dummy me never thought about putting the container in the holder. I was thinking you would just pour it into the holder DUH! No wonder my kitchen is such a mess! :cat::cat:

11. clutteredcloset49

You didn't spoon it, you poured it.

12. SKCCOAST

SKCCOAST Active Member

Yep, I got in trouble with mom for telling guests, go easy on the sugar, it's rationed.

judy likes this.
  13. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

SBSVC likes this.
  14. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Here in Switzerland condensed milk is sold in big tubes since I can remember but for sugar cooking things, when i was a child I take the tube to eat directly and you can imagine what think my mother if she see it.

15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Europe started to use tubes for things since metal was so scarce. When I went to Denmark in the early 70s I was looking for coffee and found plastic bricks instead of cans. It was so strange to see mayonnaise in tubes instead of jars etc. When I was growing up everything came in a glass jar or a metal can.
    greg

Christmasjoy, dgbjwc and judy like this.
  16. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

ah :hilarious:

glass jars or metal cans: me too :happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

It wasn't scarceness of metal, it was freight costs and cheapness of manufacture. Tetrapaks, invented in Sweden were a revolution: they allowed for far simpler and lighter packaging.

Christmasjoy and dgbjwc like this.
  18. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I suppose you could use it for either, but I think 'condensed' would be more common. Condensed milk has a massive concentration of added sugar, which acts as a preservative (counter-intuitive to my mind) that allows for shelf storage. My grandfather used it in his tea all the time. I'll bet my grandmother had this kind of server, which would have held the can, but I honestly can't remember.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  19. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

We may have had tin cans during the War, but they went right back home again after emptying. I remember my grandfather, smooshing abosolutely flat, rows of Campbell's soup cans.

The practice should have been kept up afterward.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  20. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I have looked up Tetra Paks. I am not much enlightened.

At least thy have nothing to do with fish...

Christmasjoy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted