Covered jar with saucer, What was this used for?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Potterygal, Jan 2, 2019.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Recycling is the norm now. It is confusing, the town says do not recycle any plastic jars that the mouth is large only plastic openings that are small like milk containers. When the mens club took a tour of the recyclable plant the guy who runs the place says all plastic jars etc no matter how large the openings are to be recycled. Every year the town says do not recycle this and that. The guy who runs the plant says recycle all of it do not listen to the town. The town does not own or run the plant. Who the hell are you supposed to listen to? Years ago when the town did the recycling themselves it was different. I have brought this up several times at the town meetings and the town says they will look into it. They NEVER have. I recycle just about everything I let the plant decide want they want. My SIL hardly recycles anything, she says the town knows what they are doing.
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Condensed milk is thick, sweet and pours like thick honey so I can imagine it being spooned. Evaporated milk (which my parents used in coffee) is cream like and pours easily so can be poured from a creamer though they punched holes in the can to pour.

As I mentioned, I've not know anyone who has condensed milk on their table but in the past it could have been common. I just used it this Christmas in baked cookie bars. I do admit to licking the spoon from the condensed milk stirring. It's ungodly sweet but quite delicious:) I'd put it in coffee any day.

As to recycling.....where I am it changes from time to time depending on who they can find to take the bulk but only take two numbers of plastic which is quite limiting (and then various paper etc.)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My former DIL's family uses condensed milk, still in the can and simmered in a pot of water so it thickens even more (sort of like pudding) as a special dessert treat.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, that's dulce de leche, bakers. it makes amazing ice cream.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Condensed milk is fabulous for making Key Lime pie!

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It's what I used to use for my Lemon Meringue pie.
    Don't bake anymore, 'cause I'm the only one who eats it.

However, I use evaporated milk in my meat loaf. And we take it camping as I mentioned.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

There was always a can of Milnot evaporated milk in our fridge, the folks used it in coffee, cereal, cooking, etc. (not much to my liking), and Mom used condensed milk in several recipes...

Can't recall seeing these items in old catalogs and ads as anything other than for 'condensed milk', though they were intended for regular evaporated milk/cream as well. Below are pages 103 & 104 from Williams' 'Savory Suppers & Fashionable Feasts: Dining in Victorian America' (1996); the last is a description from an 1872 patent for an 'IMPROVEMENT IN CONDENSED-MILK-CAN HOLDERS'.

condensedmilk-savorysuppers-page103.jpg

condensedmilk-savorysuppers-page104.jpg

condensedmilk-patent134015-1872.JPG

~Cheryl

8. gregsglass

Hi Marie,
    The reason condensed milk is used in Key Lime Pie is the lack of refrigeration at the time. There were no milk cows around and electricity was also unavailable. i love Key Lime Pie. Something else you should try is goat's milk fudge.
    greg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It seems to me that rice pudding is primarily rice mixed with condensed milk.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I use real milk in mine. Are you talking the evaporated pourable stuff or the sludge in the small tins? Some of the old recipes would use tinned milk because it's shelf-stable and tastes a bit like you used cream.

Mayo is turning up in squeeze bottles now here too. I haven't seen the squeeze tubed sweetened milk, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Vietnamese had them. It's standard fare there for use in coffee and tea. If I think of it I'll check the asian grocery when I go past it next.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Every once in a while I buy grocery store rice pudding. Don't remember the brand, but it comes in a plastic tub.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  12. evelyb30

Kozy Shack? That's what turns up here.

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Damn heretic colonials. ;)

A PLASTIC TUB! <shudder>

I spit on your plastic tubs, I tell you.

Rice pud hath nowt to do with condensed or evaporated milk.

The nectar that is a good rice pud is short grain pudding rice mixed with proper full fat milk, sugar and a knob of butter. Put in dish, ideally my mother's glazed earthenware one with a lid. Cook on low heat in oven for some time until it has mostly mingled and absorbed. Remove from oven, grate whole nutmeg on top, take lid off, put back in oven so it makes a proper skin. I like the skin and I like my rice pud thick. YMMV.

Serve. A good dollop of raspberry jam in the middle is very fine, or I might allow a drizzle of Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup if you must. Comfort food akin to Jewish penicillin.

14. gregsglass

Hi,
    If I remember correctly, Mr Borden made condensed milk to be canned and used on voyages where there was no fresh milk or cows. It was made to be fed to babies whose mothers milk dried up or they died. Evaporated milk came into being much later.
    greg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Sounds about like the way I do it, except the nutmeg goes right in along with everything else. The skin on the rice pudding is the best part. It can be made with or without raisins to taste.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Raisins are good - as are those big fat yellow sultanas. I do the nutmeg late as it then crispies up the yummy skin.

May have to go make one now.

17. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

My aunt always had a can of evaporated milk on the table at meals...for her coffee. ! She never had a fancy holder...just the can! Which after use..was put in refrig with foil over the top!

Re: tubes of condiments...I find the tube mayo very handy..and I love the sour cream in tubes...stays fresher...since I do not use it that often!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

My wife has one not opened as was my mother when i was a child, just for fun, and you can see the translations on the tube, 3 on 4 which is the minimum legal in Switzerland.
    [​IMG]

Christmasjoy and Phaik Hooi like this.
  19. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

"not toothpaste" comes to mind :p:D

20. gregsglass

Hi,
    When started to make other things like hair cream in tubes I once brushed my teeth with a hair cream. It took days to get the nasty taste out of my mouth!
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted