Featured Covid-19 impact on antiques business

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jeff Drum, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

evelyb30 I am in the same boat. One of the sales is 4 blocks from my house so probably will do that one. I have an entire basement of backstock to go through when I am not doing my daytime job stuck here at home.

2. Iowa Jayhawk

I have been selling oil lamps fairly well now as well.

3. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Anybody got any "backstock" old Doulton or Salem Witch ware? :woot::woot::woot:
    Royal Doulton Low Teapot.jpg

kyratango, judy, cxgirl and 2 others like this.
  4. Iowa Jayhawk

I will look. We have so much stuff.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  5. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

I know I don't, but that's really cool!

Darkwing Manor and kyratango like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wish! Or witch! I just sold a pair of earrings and I don't care if the person was just bored or really looking. :smug::smug::smug:

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The governor here in IL has just announced a mandatory stay at home order and the closure of all non-essential businesses starting on 5:00 PM on Sat. Those antique shops, thrift stores, and the like that have remained open must all now close. We had decided independent of this but I am glad that we will not be bucking the trend.

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Do you know how that's going to work as "mandatory stay at home" when people need food?

9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

According to what I heard on the news the exceptions to the rule is what the folks over in Europe have been saying. If you are going to the grocery store or the pharmacy you'll be okay. Here in Columbia we have an 11:00 PM to 6:00 AM curfew.

I went to the grocery store today & got almost everything on my list between the 2 stores. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I am going to try a different store tomorrow to get the few things I couldn't get today. :p:p

kyratango likes this.
  10. Bakersgma

I had read what some of our members had said about going out,(needing to fill out a form that gave the justification for being away from home) but was wondering whether any US locations are doing the same yet.

I had asked that question as I was waiting for today's statement from our governor (rumored to include a stay at home order - but didn't after all!) Unfortunately he might do it next week if some people don't straighten up! We don't have a curfew in Seattle, but there's nowhere to go!

We have several grocery stores in my neck of the woods that are reserving special times for the vulnerable - over 60, pregnant or compromised immunity. The chain I prefer has 3 locations nearby, all reserving 7 - 9 am on Tuesday and Thursday. I heard from a neighbor who went to the one closest to us that it was his opinion that there were an awful lot of people there who didn't qualify. How do you know whether someone under 60 and not pregnant has a compromised immune system? :rolleyes:

I went yesterday but had an appointment for an essential medical procedure, so I couldn't make the early hours. I will have to go again on Tuesday and see what it looks like to me.

kyratango likes this.
  11. Rabid Collector

Rabid Collector Well-Known Member

My local auction house is still open and still intends to hold auctions. If you live in the U.K. please do support them. They do have online bidding.
    https://denhams.com/info/corona_virus/. Antiques auction next week.

12. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma - A news reporter asked a manager of a grocery store that is having a similar thing here in Columbia how they are handling who qualifies for the special time. His reply was that they were relying on people to be considerate & adhere to the special qualifications. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I just rolled my eyes. Yeah these are the same people who are having fist fights over TP & who went all over the place buying up cleaning supplies so they could gouge people. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Houseful, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  13. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Things on eBay (patd3283) have been slower than usual but I sell rather long tail unneeded items. We have enough stuff within 20' of us to keep going for a couple of years and that is not counting all of DH's stuff - uh, collections :)

Here in Georgia, things are pretty much closed down (even a lot of the crime in the city) - not much traffic. Groceries, pharmacies, WalMart, etc. are open. All food is carry out delivery, drive through or pick up. There are cases in our county and all the surrounding counties. Dobbins AFB about 15 miles from us is where they are bringing people en mass from ships and planes. The state has set up self-containment units (sort of like mobile homes)at several parks where people who cannot self quarantine at home and are not sick enough for hospitals are assigned. Their needed supplies are brought in to them. Ironically, one is called Hard Labor State Park.

Keep well and safe my friends.

14. Bakersgma

Yup. That's what I heard when it was first announced. We expect people to be compassionate and considerate. Right.

lloyd249, kyratango and bercrystal like this.
  15. evelyb30

I'm well stocked on everything but milk and vegetables, but I wouldn't turn down tea and coffee if I can score the sale brands. Not planning on going until Monday. They're locking down everything but gas stations, grocery stores, banks, etc. Someone talked about the lock down, but as far as I was concerned everything was already shut anyhow.

Downside, a friend from church has the bug. Fortunately for me, our paths didn't cross at church two weeks ago. Unfortunately for him, his 95 year-old father in-law lives with the family.

kyratango likes this.
  16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Sale for tomorrow says if you touch it you must buy it

cxgirl and bercrystal like this.
  17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

reports of a man here....testing positive but refused to self isolate...being arrested by the police !

cxgirl, blooey and kyratango like this.
  18. evelyb30

Good! I know three people who've gotten it so far, but only one is in-state. One's in Thailand.

19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the town next to mine ( cote saint luc ) has asked the Gov't to quarantine it.......no answer yet....
    they have new cases and it's heavy with an older population...
    They shut down the mall....& seniors homes are being restricted....
    but one guy who tested pos....was at a Synagogue wedding in ( Westmount ) a town one over...last week !!!!
    I understand weddings get planned well in advance......... and it's a very big deal... BUT...... it should have been postponed ....... like really !!!!!

I wonder who will accept responsibility should more of the guests fall ill !!

cxgirl, kyratango and patd8643 like this.
  20. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Here in CA, it's mandatory stay at home except for essential businesses.

What's considered essential.
    Pharmacy, grocery, doctors, bank, post office, gas stations, hardware stores, construction, plumbing, electricians, laundries, veterinarians. Can't remember what the others were.

What is shut down.
    All stores that aren't groceries, pharmacies or hardware, bars, restaurants, movie theaters, realities.

Went to the store to pick up the mail, and to Lowe's. People were out. The grocery stores parking lots had lots of cars, Ace hardware had cars, Lowes was well staffed and had lots of customers.

Poor UPS man had packages to deliver and no one was open to except them.
    I took a couple for my neighbors and called them to make arrangements for pickup.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted