Cowrie Shell, Woven ? Hat?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by jakes vintage, Nov 18, 2017.

1. jakes vintage

jakes vintage Well-Known Member

Been digging through my garage just to start getting rid of stuff, and came across this I didn' even know I had it. I figured it's a hat and did a lil researching on it but nothing like this shape or style. Now I'm using hat as a search maybe that' where I'm going wrong? Im guessing it' just a tourist piece? 70s 80s? But hopefully I'm wrong and it's worth thousands lol...[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

KingofThings and judy like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Geez, Jake - who knew that attaching cowrie shells to baskets was a "thing"?

I didn't see anything with red thread like yours, but when I searched Google for "cowrie shell basket" I did find quite a few...

Maybe yours is a planter? (I just can't imagine anyone wearing that on his/her head!)

Here are a couple of different ones:
    img0 (27).jpg
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/521576...ch_query=cowrie shell basket&ref=sr_gallery_1

img0 (28).jpg
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/253981...h_query=cowrie shell basket&ref=sr_gallery_26

I do think that yours looks rather "rough" in comparison... (???)

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  3. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

It's African, a traditional style, combining coiled palm fiber, leather, and cowrie shells. Not a hat, just a cowrie-covered bowl, made for the tourist trade, from Nigeria.

4. jakes vintage

Thanks again guys as always you guys are the best!!

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It is a little known fact that cowrie shells,due to their high selenium content, are even more effective than aluminium foil for shielding your brain from mind control rays, so if you are currently wearing a tinfoil hat, get one of these and be even safer!!!!1!!!!

People who are telling you it is a bowl are clearly government sock puppets who want to keep you enslaved!!!!!

6. jakes vintage

Ahahahahahahahha

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted