Featured Cranberry & White Swirl Vase; 3-part Mold, Unmarked

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 23, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Another family treasure from Mom's sister, my dear aunt Marie. 3¼" diameter, top & bottom; no external taper, ~5" tall, rim thickness ~.070" (red), ~.110" (white), with a ground upper edge an' a very finely ground inner chamfer. As the wall moves toward the bottom, it thickens, roughly as the whites in the swirl do. All the whites are externally over the cranberry, and the interior thickness of that combination is a variable...the exterior is very smooth. There are 3 evenly spaced faint vertical seams at the mold edges; they don't extend into the bottom, which is slightly rimmed, then smoothly concave. There are 21 white swirls.

The amount of skill and process control evident in the piece is remarkable, to me. eBay has hundreds of cranberry & white swirl vessels...none are even remotely as simple and straightforward as this, most of them having bulbous bodies with wavy or otherwise tooled mouths. Fenton is often mentioned as a maker in their descriptions.

Whatever y'all see in this, shout it out please! Thanks...

fullsizeoutput_9ac3.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ac2.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ac1.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9ac0.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9abf.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9abe.jpeg

judy, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  2. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

Looks like something Hobbs or Jefferson would do?

3. wlwhittier

Are those glass masters? When were they active?

judy likes this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice. I was going to say Fenton but that is probably wrong.

judy, *crs* and wlwhittier like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hobbs and Jefferson are glass companies not individuals.

judy, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  6. *crs*

EAPG Early American Pattern Glass ca 1880-1920 or so.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

Northwood??? I am just guessing. Wait for the experts.

judy and *crs* like this.
  8. *crs*

I think Northwood's swirls were in the opposite direction? All those swirl patterns get confusing as to who made what

judy, wlwhittier and pearlsnblume like this.
  9. wlwhittier

judy, Figtree3 and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. wlwhittier

Bingo...so they are, *crs*. The eBay listing has quite a taper, as well.

judy, Figtree3 and *crs* like this.
  11. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

At this size, it could be a tumbler.

EDIT: I see where the ebay listing calls it a tumbler as well.

pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  12. wlwhittier

I don't know what a 'tumbler' is, technically...though I've used the term, and plenty of examples, during my long life.
    Full of water (~⅜" freeboard, a pint an' a splash) it weighs 30 ounces...and at 3¼" it's a real handful, and I have big hands. It is uncomfortably large and heavy! Empty weight is 13.6 ounces.
    Y'all may be right, but I've got my doubts about it being made as a drinking vessel.

judy likes this.
  13. pearlsnblume

Ola I was going to say tumbler too .. aka drinking glass... as well, but it seems that in those days a tumbler was a bit smaller.

14. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

15. wlwhittier

Of Course!
    It's part of what I would call a Pickle Caster. Cylindrical, to fit properly...un-tooled rim, to accept the caster's cover.
    Spot-On, TallCakes...Thank you!

TallCakes, pearlsnblume and *crs* like this.
  16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Well, I just went into my kitchen and measured a few tumblers and they were within the range of this piece, although most of mine are contemporary. I should have known better, contemporary glasses are usually of the big gulp variety. I looked in Tom's book, Glass Tumblers 1860s to 1920s, and the sizes are smaller, usually just under 4" high and about 2 3/4" in diameter at the top.

Just looked at my L.G. Wright Glass reference book and (while it does not give measurements) the look of this piece is very consistent with the photograph of Wright's cranberry opalescent spiral optic pickle jar insert.

I found a pickle jar insert once and it was made by Wright. I remember thinking "not a vase, not a tumbler" and finally found it in my book. It sold well on ebay.

17. wlwhittier

That's where this is destined to meet its new owner...and pretty soon!
    Thank you, all, for essential assistance with this charming bauble!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted