crazy question

Discussion in 'Tools' started by savwillsell09, Oct 30, 2022.

1. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

thats a paper label on some sort of plastic,i would like to clear coat it or ?,so i can use these and preserve the paper,,,any thoughts on what to use thanks again! IMG_2704.JPG

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Maybe some of the book/photo folks have experience with archival techniques for preserving old brittle paper.

Have you looked into artist grade fixative sprays? They come in a matte finish and are typically safe for use over dry materials. Guessing they'd be safe on this and you may be able to apply a few light coats for more durability. If you have one you don't really care about you could test it.

NewEngland and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Maybe scan it, print the scan, and make a sort of dust jacket to cover the original.

4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you have, and what you are intending to do. From the one photo, it appears to be a sliding case containing something? What are you referring to when you say you want to use "these"? Generally, using something and preserving it are contradictory goals.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  5. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

@2manybooks Its the case and its paper label they wish to preserve. They want to use the (whatever) inside the case without damaging the outside.

6. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Probably could use a clear contact paper, too. Just be careful to not get any wrinkles and trim the excess, if needed.

komokwa likes this.
  7. savwillsell09

savwillsell09 Active Member

didnt think of that,clear contact paper...small percison files

komokwa likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

If you like the container and would like to protect it, why not put the files in something else and put the container away?

If it is made of "some sort of plastic", there is a chance it would react poorly to solvents in any kind of coating.

Draft saved Draft deleted