Crazy unusual find (for me)-Antique Holy Oil,Maltese Cross-any info ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by bosko69, Mar 27, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Hello-I just found an antique 3 tier holy oil flask at a garage sale over the weekend ($2).I only know it's for holding anointing oil ,maybe for the Priest & Eucharist ?
    Any info you've got about the way these were used would be most interesting-Thanks !
    Specs-2 1/8" tall/no makers or assay marks/prob silver over brass/top cylinder is a replacement/poss hand-engraved ?/ Maltese cross cap-any significance ?)-Again Thanks.
    PS-Do you like it polished or unpolished ? Holy Oil 1.jpg Holy Oil 2.jpg Oil6.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice price, bosko.;)

A Maltese cross has 8 points, the ends of the limbs have a V-shaped cut out. So not a Maltese cross.

3. Any Jewelry

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It appears to be wriggle engraved on the borders and next to the letters.

sabre123 and charlie cheswick like this.
  5. bosko69

Thanks AJ-I was thrilled at the price & venue (garage sale) ! What kind of cross do you think it might be ? Wiki lists it as a 'Templar Cross' but that's probably historical *#@*. I'm trying to figure what part of the Catholic world this might have come from via the cross configuration.
    PS-But,maybe Anointing (Holy) Oil was used by religions other than the Catholic Church ?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Roman Catholic, those are abbreviations of the Latin terms.
    The cross shape is pretty generic. I have seen it in many Western Christian churches, but I have no reason to believe it is exclusively Western.

johnnycb09 and charlie cheswick like this.
  7. bosko69

Holly-Thanks so much,I thought it might be hand-engraved too.Though why a seemingly inexpensive silver over brass piece would be is a mystery to me-unless it's rolled gold or thicker Sheffield plate ? Though perhaps Sheffield usually had copper under the silver ?

8. bosko69

Thanks AJ,I thought Wiki a bit muddled on accurate cross attributions.
    PS-In the more fantasy-driven collector's mind,everything's Templar !

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. bosko69

Thanks for the vote Komo,plate or sterling's one thing we can still have fun polishing & not lose our shirt !

wlwhittier, johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  11. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

definitely polished, the inside looks lovely, so reckon the outer will be as well

12. bosko69

Thanks again for the vote my friend-the old patina was way too mottled & grotty.

wlwhittier and charlie cheswick like this.
  13. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

is it gilded on the inside ?

Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. bosko69

-yep,looks like fire gilded (?) gold.

15. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Where did you get the religious connotation from?

wlwhittier and charlie cheswick like this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure we've seen this kind of thing before. For bringing the eucharist and and holy oil for anointing to a home visit for the sick.

17. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Some of them get decomissioned, as it were.

charlie cheswick and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  19. bosko69

I scanned your article Marote- it's quite fascinating how each of the oils embody a different facet of the Trinity.Naturally the abbreviations represent Latin as you said-except mine has 2 'SC''s and only one 'OS',so I def agree w/ the replacement theory.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
    Marote likes this.
  20. bosko69

I made the mistake of listing a Sheriff's Badge on Ebay 20 years ago,bad idea-it had been stolen from an officer's cruiser & was still considered 'Active' (not 'Decommissioned').I had a phone call & subsequent visit from 2 officers within a day or two-I told them I picked it up at a local mall for $20 (think I still had the receipt).They had me turn over the badge,they were polite,but very,very serious and businesslike.
    I was a middle-aged guy in the burbs and they left,no follow up.I did wonder for a few months if the phone might ring-but guess I seemed harmless to the 2 officers.It was definitely weird,and I was glad I hadn't shelled out $200-$300 for the piece.
    PS-Obviously,at least back then- Ebay was extremely cooperative with law enforcement regarding stolen property.