Creamy color bone? with faux coral necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by IvaPan, Apr 23, 2023.

1. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I recently found this necklace and wonder what it is. Looks like some kind of bone but cannot figure out what. It is chunky and heavy, and somehow looks Eastern, Tibetian or Indian, or around but again not sure at all. It has about 3 cm bead pendant seemingly made of plastic to resemble red coral.

Will be very grateful for any comment or suggestion, especially to @Any Jewelry Thank you for looking!

bone1.jpg
    bone2.jpg
    bone3.jpg
    bone4.jpg

Last edited: Apr 23, 2023
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

IvaPan and kyratango like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

The "glow" is not of the forbidden material;):cyclops:
    The thin grooves and surface pitting I see when enlarging your pic#3, bone is my sentiment.
    The characteristic blood vessels traces must have been removed by bleaching or other treatment.
    It is organic material, when the red bead is some kind of plastic.

Dessert58, Any Jewelry and IvaPan like this.
  4. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Hollyblue, very informative, I was wondering about these elements as it is the first time I see them. Mine can't be NA so other possibilities should be researched.

With these key words found very similar beads for sale, thanks again!
    Bone Beads | Ox Bone Tube Bead | Hair Pipe Beads | White, Brown, Black – Beadlanta
    Thank you, Kyra, I did not think about "forbidden material", these are too big and chunky, besides I would feel very bad to have them if they were. They seem bone to me but I was wondering what bone and where from, and if they resemble any specific style or place of origin. It is quite unusual piece to be found here.

Yes, it should be organic as they glow under UV light.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  5. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

I was wondering if it is possible this necklace to be a modern replica-souvenir from some place where NA crafts are developed.. Or just a modern replica resembling NA necklace. As I know 0 about NA crafts, I searched this type of beads and hair pipe beads seem typical for NA jewelry. If there is some other place it is also typical for, so far I haven't found it.

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Most of the beads and the construction are Indian, but it is a fashion necklace, not a traditional one. Could even have been made by a home crafter using Indian beads, hook clasp and end tubes. Very nice though.
    Nearly all hairpipe beads used by NA craftspeople are nowadays made in India and Hongkong. Indian hairpipes look more rustic and uneven than the ones made in Hongkong.
    Yours are typically the Indian ones, as are most of the other beads.

The plastic one looks like it could be a Faturan-like bead.
    Faturan is faux amber, a mix of phenolic resin and other substances. It was used a lot in the Middle East and Turkey. Faturan often turns red with age.

Dessert58, IvaPan and kyratango like this.
  7. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any, for the exhaustive and informative answer!
    If I interpret it right, the beads are Indian but the crafter can be from anywhere.
    Isn't Faturan one of the Bakelite family? Can it be tested with oven cleaner as regular Bakelite?
    Never have had Faturan beads although know that it is quite cherished in the Middle East.
    P.S. I don't quite get the term "fashion necklace" - maybe it is a matter of my insufficient English - which fashion? Here in BG this necklace type is not fashionable, there are myriads of bone necklaces for sale here and none is anything similar to this one. Probably somewhere it is and I would like to know where, if it is possible.

B.t.w. here in local sites there are listings that claim to be genuine "forbidden material" which I highly doubt judging by the photos.

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a phenolic acid based substance, related to Bakelite. Bakelite was often used as a base, and amber and incense mixed in, as well as some other substances.
    I test it by rubbing it. If it smells of incense it is Middle Eastern/Turkish Faturan.
    I don't know if you can test it like Bakelite, but I wouldn't take the risk. It is softer than Bakelite and you don't want to damage it.

Fashion necklace is a necklace that is fashionable with a certain group of people for a few years but has no real tradition.
    If no one ever wore something like this in Bulgaria, it could have come from further west.

kyratango, Dessert58 and IvaPan like this.
  9. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Thank you, Any, for the tip for testing! Actually my red bead seems quite bruised while the rest of the necklace is much more preserved, almost like new, so maybe these were assembled by someone from an old red bead and new bone beads.

Thank you for the explanation of the term! It is so unusual here, that's why I asked in the forum.

kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted