Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Jewelry
>
Creamy color bone? with faux coral necklace
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Any Jewelry, post: 9429631, member: 2844"]Yes, it is a phenolic acid based substance, related to Bakelite. Bakelite was often used as a base, and amber and incense mixed in, as well as some other substances.</p><p>I test it by rubbing it. If it smells of incense it is Middle Eastern/Turkish Faturan.</p><p>I don't know if you can test it like Bakelite, but I wouldn't take the risk. It is softer than Bakelite and you don't want to damage it.</p><p><br /></p><p>Fashion necklace is a necklace that is fashionable with a certain group of people for a few years but has no real tradition.</p><p>If no one ever wore something like this in Bulgaria, it could have come from further west.[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Any Jewelry, post: 9429631, member: 2844"]Yes, it is a phenolic acid based substance, related to Bakelite. Bakelite was often used as a base, and amber and incense mixed in, as well as some other substances. I test it by rubbing it. If it smells of incense it is Middle Eastern/Turkish Faturan. I don't know if you can test it like Bakelite, but I wouldn't take the risk. It is softer than Bakelite and you don't want to damage it. Fashion necklace is a necklace that is fashionable with a certain group of people for a few years but has no real tradition. If no one ever wore something like this in Bulgaria, it could have come from further west.[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Jewelry
>
Creamy color bone? with faux coral necklace
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...