Featured Creepy? Old Photo

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by cxgirl, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

This may be a long stretch - but why is the man's jaw white? Did he just shave for the first time in a long time?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Some relatives, perhaps?

creepy family photo.jpeg Miss Peregrines.jpg Les Miserables (452x640).jpg

Seriously, I think the photographer chose a bad time of day, with the sun directly above, which cast the dramatic shadows. The family looks prosperous enough to have had servants/hired hands, which may be the people in the background.

3. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I had the same haircut the girl on the left had when I was a kid. Wow why did we think short bangs were a good idea ever.
    Some of my old family photos don't look much happier.

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

@Bookahtoo I wondered about that too. I had a fleeting thought that it was a shadow from his hat; although it doesn't really look proper for a hat shadow.

So, I think you might be right on about that. It does lead you to believe that if it HAD been where a beard would have been... that he would have been in the sun while the rest of the family were "abed". Which actually IS possible.

My Dad's family was "quarantined" during the great Spanish influenza. My Dad was a wee babe in arms and DID get it. He said his Mother and 2 elder brothers had to stay in the house... and said that his Dad wasn't allowed in the house. Grandpa would bring groceries to the porch and leave them. I don't know where Grandpa stayed; but I think he worked at the local grocery. My Dad was fed with an eyedropper pushed down his throat because his throat was swollen shut. I don't know if the two elder brothers or if Grandma had it... but all 4 of them survived.

But, if that was the case for the folks in that photo... it is possible that the man had an outdoor job; and didn't have access to a shaver for a couple weeks which does actually make some sense.

Cheerio Leslie

5. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

Maybe they've been doing a lot of medicinal herbs.

6. Owliza

Owliza I really DO keep my tree up a bit too long...

First post, so dredging up an old thread-sorry! My first thought on the man’s face was that he looks like he’s wearing a one of those face masks disfigured WW1 soldiers had made by Anna Coleman Ladd. Maybe a photo taken when the family was reunited postwar?
    upload_2021-8-12_0-23-31.jpeg

Lucille.b and kyratango like this.
  7. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I have seven kids. I confirm this :)

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Joking apart, if you had 7-8 kids in 1938-9 Nazi Germany you would have got a gold medal signed by Adolf himself.
    upload_2021-8-13_1-15-21.jpeg

I researched my family tree years ago and one poor mare had 22 kids.
    5 died in childbirth , in Surrey, I might add.

Not in Yorkshire, gods own county, you know.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

9. BoudiccaJones

I am not sure I don't deserve a little something.

My Great Grandad married twice and first wife had ten then second had twelve. My Great Grandad was a builder and family lore claims he built Major Armstrong's house,and my Great Gran worked there. Armstrong did have an office next to my Gran's house which was exactly the same when I was small as it was when he worked there. And my Grandparents bought stuff from his house ( a pair of intercoms they said they could hear VOICES! on) ( not sure how this is pertinent sorry I need coffee to focus my thoughts)
    As as aside I have always wanted ot go to Surrey. Dunno why. Never been. Want to see Box Hill

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    daveydempsey likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My great grandfather was one of 22. Only four survived infancy, the others dying of common childhood diseases which are now routine vaccinations. So, yeah, I get my jabs.

Pattywithay and BoudiccaJones like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

I'm not actually a kid person at all, so was an interesting experience having so many. Usually I'd go for puppies xx

daveydempsey likes this.
  12. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

My mother had severe anemia in 1926 and her eyes look just like that in all the photos we have of her at that time.

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My grandmother was one of 11, 10 of whom grew to adulthood, and Grandpa was one of nine. My father was an only child! (LOL)

Big families used to be the norm, especially since so many children died, but 22 is ... eek!

Draft saved Draft deleted