Crystal owl piece - engraved? Anyone recognize the signature?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UncleChuckTX, Sep 28, 2014.

1. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I'm confused on my glass terms with this piece. Is it cut, engraved, wheel cut, wheel engraved...?

It's a small standing figurine or paperweight, about 3" tall. There is a tiny signature on one side near the bottom. When I first saw it, I thought it might be Val St. Lambert. But now that I have close-up pics, I'm still unsure.

The crystal seems fairly nice quality, and I'm impressed with the artwork. You can't really see in the pictures, but there is even a line of faint wispy clouds around the moon. Anyone have any guesses?

IMG_6366.JPG
    IMG_6367.JPG
    IMG_6368.JPG
    IMG_6377.JPG

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Its engraved, a subset of cut. It's done by pressing the glass against a revolving disc, sometimes that disc is an abrasive stone, sometimes it is a copper disc with an abrasive powder in water flowing over the glass. Other types of engraving are done with a tiny chisel or a vibrating metal point.
    In this instance, the eyes are 'bright', they'be been polished, the rest is gray, the natural effect of engraving or cutting.

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Steinbach.

~Cheryl

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom. I appreciate the info.

Thank you! I'd never heard of Steinbach before. I found an animal-themed series this piece may belong with.

Draft saved Draft deleted