Crystal Salt Shaker

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Les_Wilcock, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Les_Wilcock

Les_Wilcock New Member

Hi everyone
    Possibly someone can help me here.

I have just bought a nice set of table items comprising of salt and pepper shakers and sugar bowl etc. The salt shaker has a crystal body with what looks like a copper top which has been silver plated. The top is a tight push fit onto to neck of the crystal body.
    My problem is the top is fused onto the neck as evidenced by presence of verdigris around the lip. I have tried gently heating the metal top to see if it move but to no effect. An overnight soak in water had similarly not effect.

I wondered if the forum could suggest something that I can soak the thing in or any other way of prising the lid off without damaging the crystal.

Thanks in anticipation

Les W

i need help likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Les! :)
    You can try wrapping several rubber bands tightly around the top, to give you a better grip. I’m sure there will be more suggestions.

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

WD40 might do it.

i need help likes this.
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Put the shaker in the freezer and then when taking it out run the top under warm water. I had one that was causing all kinds of grief but finally it came off and then I knew why. The damn seller had glued the the top on to cover up that almost half of the top was broken off and missing.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    greg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    Fid and i need help like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I use silicone spray to loosen up non metal things.

Fid and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted