Cufflinks from the '20's? Teens?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Russell Leiner, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

According to this site - you have a "bridge connection" pair of cufflinks. This gal dates them circa 1920. Here is the link:

Leslie

Yours are very pretty, I may add...

Houseful, KSW, Russell Leiner and 2 others like this.
  2. Thank you Leslie. Very informative.
    I concur, definitely have a bridge connection on mine.

Northern Lights Lodge and KSW like this.
  3. Debora, you've been so patient and helpful. Thank you. I hope these two macro shots with varying lighting works for identifying the monogram. I honestly don't think I can do any better with my rudimentary photo abilities.

IMG_20210420_234647094.jpg
    IMG_20210420_233257690~2.jpg

KSW likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

G.L.A. That match with any family members? Of course, monograms can be written in different ways. Coud be G.A.L.

Debora

KSW and Russell Leiner like this.
  5. Certainly the L for the surname.
    No G or A though.

KSW likes this.
  6. Is it possible the letter on the left is an 'I'?
    I can definitely see the center letter being an 'A'.
    The 'L' makes sense.
    The one letter I just can't detect is the one on the left.

KSW likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think you're right. It's an "I." So we have I.A.L. Does that work?

Debora

set-golden-copperplate-monogram-letters-vector-19910760.jpg

8. My grandfather's initials, that I'm aware of, is 'IL'. I've never known him to have a middle name/initial.
    I'll need to do some more research on a possible middle name.

Thank you Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You can go to familysearch.org, the genealogy site of The Latter-Day Saints, and see what you find in their records. It's free to join.

Debora

bercrystal, Russell Leiner and KSW like this.
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

@Russell Leiner - Hello & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

These are beautiful cufflinks. Please do let us know what you are able to find out. :happy::happy:

11. TYVM @bercrystal
    So far I've learned quite a bit. The assistance of @Debora and @Northern Lights Lodge has been invaluable. I'm very impressed with their knowledge and the quickness of their responses.

Unfortunately, the remaining assistance I need can only come from one person, my aunt. My sister has no recollection of a middle initial for our grandfather either. Both of my parents have passed on. I've run out of living relatives to ask for assistance.

My advice to everyone out there, talk to your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles before time runs out. I learned this just a bit too late. Once those loved ones are no longer with us, we no longer have them as the valuable resource they can be.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wonderful advice, Russell, and thank you for the call out. If you haven't done so already, I do suggest you go to familysearch.org. You may find a copy of his birth, marriage or death certificate there. Those would likely have his middle initial if not his full middle name.

Debora

KSW, bercrystal and Russell Leiner like this.
  13. I am going to check out that site now. Crossing my fingers. Maybe I'll get lucky :)

KSW and bercrystal like this.
  14. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

@Russell Leiner - your advice re: asking family members is true. I'm fortunate; at least on my maternal side - that Grandma and Mom were interested in such things - so photos have names on backs and Grandma wrote down what she knew of genealogy and Mom continued the work. Not so much on my Dad's side; my mother asked questions - but no one would answer - whether they didn't know or wouldn't say is unknown.

It wouldn't hurt to check backs of photos if you have any...sometimes they did write on them.

Debora's advice about tracking down paperwork is spot on. Hopefully you can find a lead. I will say however; that not everyone DID have a middle name. My maternal Granddad did not... a plain "John" first name and a last name like dozens of others in the area of Cornwall England that he immigrated from. LOL... Mom had a time doing the genealogy on all the John's, James', Johnson's, and William's that were used over and over - and over! Odd also that he had only his first name as he had 20 brothers and sisters; he was the second oldest. All his siblings had second names... go figure. Then he was the "odd man out" as he is the ONLY one of 21 to have come to the US. No cousins here... sigh!

Cheerio, Leslie

Russell Leiner likes this.
  15. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    In helping with my FIL family I found that a lot of female family members had different first names on their birth records and what appeared on their tombstones.
    Also for years he claimed to have French Canadian blood which turned out to be a great aunt who emigrated from Scotland to Canada before she came to the USA. I keep telling him that his last name is just a made up name, since there are no others with that last name. He thinks that I am nuts but I know for sure that he is crazy.
    greg

Russell Leiner likes this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Well, to paraphrase Saki... Perhaps romance at short notice is his speciality.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted