Featured Curious about age, etc. for this painted older chair, cane seat

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I don't tend to buy chairs as I only do online sales, but this was only $3.95 at the thrift (just out) and I tried as I might, I just could not leave it there. The cane seat is split on one edge, some scuff marks, but chair sits evenly. Will be a project for someone. What did I buy? Keywords? Age?

chair3.jpg chair3b.jpg chair4.jpg chair5.jpg chair5b.jpg chair7a.jpg
    Sorry did not clean dust prior to photographing. Did someone move the leg at one point?? Both sides have this plug. chair8.jpg

chair9.jpg

Attached Files:

2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

It's a 19th century "fancy" chair that is grain painted with a stencil on the crest rail.
    VERY NICE for 3.95 I'd say, even though you'll need to re- cane seat.

judy, kyratango, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  3. James Conrad

The formal style is called "NeoClassical" but most refer to these chairs as fancy. Baltimore is noted as an early center of this style of chair and offers some exceptional examples.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

5. James Conrad

Could be but, that crest rail is awfully thick for Hitchcock I would think and they are usually stamped?

judy, Lucille.b and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. James Conrad

These "fancy" chairs were made by the 10s of millions all during the 19th century, from the Federal period 1800, on up until the 20th century so a LONG TIME! for any style to stay popular.
    I mention Baltimore because they are rather famous for early Federal era hand made fancy chairs but almost every city in America made these chairs at one time or another.

judy, Lucille.b, Ghopper1924 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice hand-caned chair. The turnings and other details make me think 1860-80. You got a bargain!

James Conrad, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  8. James Conrad

No, it is where the back posts are drilled thru the seat and if you notice there are wedges driven into post bottom to make them tight.

judy and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Lucille.b

Ah, of course! Thank you.

Appreciate all the replies! I guessed it was old, but that was about all. It has kind of a pleasing overall appearance, and had to rescue it. :happy:

Tanya, judy and James Conrad like this.
  10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Lucille B By any chance do you have an "Industries for the Blind" where you live?

We have an Industries for the Blind in my city and the "blind" people there do beautiful work when re-caneing / repairing caned chairs.

11. Lucille.b

I'll have to check. Thanks, Yourturn! :happy:

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the eagle is Napoleon 3 normally. looking to the other side it would be from the original midget.
    the cane is "viennese".

Lucille.b and judy like this.
  13. James Conrad

Not in this case, the Bald Eagle is the national symbol of USA

"From the eagle's perspective, it holds a bundle of 13 arrows in its left talon (referring to the 13 original states), and an olive branch in its right talon, together symbolizing that the United States has "a strong desire for peace, but will always be ready for war."

14. James Conrad

Yes, I think that's close, those "cookie" turnings on front legs were popular then and, that bald eagle on the crest rail was probably meant to appeal to the "Union" side of things in this time frame.
    Or perhaps centennial, 1876.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Lucille.b, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  15. As James C. has said, you have a nineteenth century "fancy chair", and a real bargain! They were super popular in the 1820s and '30s, and even after they went out of fashion, I suspect people tucked them away in attics because they were too pretty to part with. Notice the faux wood graining (rosewood effect, I think) that sets off the gold decoration so well. As James C. says, it has that elegant Baltimore look. Nice find!

Lucille.b and James Conrad like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I rarely covet but, for your chair, I'm making an exception.

Debora

17. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I caned a chair once after watching youtube videos. Takes awhile but if you don't mind fiddly tasks, not too bad. I'm not planning to do another though.

18. James Conrad

LOL @ not planning to do another!:hilarious:

Lucille.b and say_it_slowly like this.
  19. Sedona

Sedona Well-Known Member

Nice find! Congratulations.

Draft saved Draft deleted