Cushman and appraiser questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Richard Schaumburg, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Richard Schaumburg

Richard Schaumburg New Member

Hi. My name is Richard. Recently moved back to St. Louis. Need advice on Cushman questions and hiring an appriser.

We have a Cushman Colonial Creations buffet that has different numbers on the top and base. The base is stamped 7013 while the top shelving unit has the rectangular metal tag number 8213. We were able to find a 1937 Cushman price list that lists 7013, but have not found any information on the 8213 piece. Since the pieces are numbered differently it seems as though customers could mix and match tops and bottoms. Is that the case?

We also have a Colonial Creations corner hutch numbered 8025. The rectangular tag got lost in a moving process, but it is stamped and appears in the Cushman catalog from 1939, page 58. Assuming the lack of the tag will reduce its value, but not sure.

We are wanting to sell both of these items, but are unclear as to what we should look for in an appraisal company so we know how to price them. There are a lot of appraisers listed in the St. Louis area and then there are those that are strictly online. What advice can you give us?

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Welcome, Richard, and thank you so much for joining us. It's always best to start any enquiry with photographs. Would/could you post some of your pieces? Photographs of all marks would be helpful as well.

Debora

komokwa, Aquitaine and Lucille.b like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I also wanted to alert you that Cushman has been discussed in a number of previous threads. Some of the information they contain may be helpful. A search will bring them up for you.

Debora

Figtree3, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

why pay an appraiser for used brown depression era furniture ..... ?

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

While you are working on pictures, I'll tag @Drew our Cushman expert.

6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I believe only a certain style of 1930s-ish Cushman furniture is popular with collectors and worth a comfortable amount on the resale market... but even that may not be worth paying for an appraisal. I don't know if/how you intend to sell, but also keep in mind that top dollar is difficult to reach if you only intend to sell locally.
    The highly inflated prices seen online often give people the wrong idea about value.
    As Bakersgma has said, our member Drew will know more.
    And photos will be needed. :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

at least St Louis is a big city.....& not the semi rural mountainous farmland back country......:playful::playful:

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Here is a 7013 base with a 7012 hutch. It was listed for $1999 but Etsy doesn't show us what it actually sold for, or when. You could try contacting that seller for further info.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/130102...how_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details
    Yours could be a "marriage" between different styles that happened later in its life during a previous ownership... which would affect value.

cushman70127013a.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2023
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Richard Schaumburg

Finally have pics posted.
    Thanks so much for your efforts in finding a similar style for us and for the contact info.
    Cushman buffet.JPG
    8213 buffet tag.JPG Cushman corner cabinet.JPG Cushman buffet.JPG 8213 buffet tag.JPG Cushman corner cabinet.JPG

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Richard Schaumburg

Indeed. As for other post, don't want to ask too much and don't want to get too little.

11. Richard Schaumburg

Thanks much.

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

And here is "Brookhouse corner cupboard" 8025, from a 1939 catalog:

[​IMG]

Figtree3 likes this.
  13. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

The hutch on your buffet, despite the totally different part number, looks identical to the 7012 hutch from the Etsy seller. :)

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Richard Schaumburg

Yep; that's it. Thank you.

15. Richard Schaumburg

They are identical, I think. Don't know why there are different numbers.

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Dunno about anyone else, but when I saw Cushman I automatically thought "scooter". Nope.:D

17. komokwa

funny that !

Draft saved Draft deleted