Cut Crystal Necklace and Earrings How to Clean the Green

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by cxgirl, Nov 6, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    I bought this necklace and earrings and there is some green on some of pieces on the back of the necklace - how or what do you use to clean this stuff off? I don't think this is a set but they were sold together, cut crystal I think but maybe glass, I really don't know. How do I tell the difference? No marks on the back of the earrings and no closure on the necklace so no marks there.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thanks for looking
    Mary
    DSC09685.jpg DSC09668.jpg DSC09684.jpg

2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Here are the earrings
    DSC09681.jpg DSC09667.jpg

3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

To get the green off, I use a little ketchup and put it on with a toothpick to control where it goes. I have also dipped small pieces of paper towel in vinegar and placed tiny pieces on the green area for a few minutes. Be sure to wash it all off because it is acidic and it can etch the meta.l

4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Thanks Miil Cove, I'll try the ketchup first and see how that works!
    Mary

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    You need to use a gem tester. Crystal is quartz, glass is glass. I was always told to look at the edges (planes) with a 30X loupe. If it has "rounded" edges it was molded glass. if the edge are very sharp it was cut and probably crystal.
    greg

komokwa likes this.
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Well the ketchup worked great, thanks again mill cove!
    Thanks greg, I'll take it to the rock shop and see if they have a tester, I can't tell the difference by looking at it.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Its really very pretty :cat:

8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Look at them closely for tiny, tiny bubbles. You won't find bubbles in quartz.

Draft saved Draft deleted