Featured Cut glass jewelry box -- need quick eyes on this

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lucille.b, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hello. Seems like I had one of these that sold for around $80. Cut glass dresser casket, I think was how mine was listed, but I think mine was stamped "France".

Someone is selling this one in the photos for $18. Do you think older? (Using photos from ad.) Trying to decide if I should go look at it. Thanks.

aabox2.jpg

aabox3.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Sorry Lucille, no help here, (except a bump) :happy:

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If you can look at it, and determine it is indeed cut, buy it quick. Otherwise, its your choice.

4. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I agree...nice piece !

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Could it have been made for ciggies? No idea whodunnit, but it's a nice box.

Lucille.b likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It does look like a cigarette box. And would have had a matching ashtray.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. evelyb30

Probably a lighter too.

pearlsnblume and Debora like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

9. evelyb30

Yep. Pretty much.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Photo is of what's described as a "smoker's set." Such things existed but... This one looks like a marriage to me.

Debora

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

The person selling the one I posted did not get back to me yet, so I haven't gone to look. They didn't post measurements so it's hard to know exactly what this is, yet. And who knows, maybe already sold to someone else.

One other time I found a box like this at a thrift, and (I think) there was "made in France" on the inside hinge, but might be wrong in that memory. Also I'm foggy on selling price but seem to recall $80-$90 + $20 shipping. The one I had was quite heavy, and seemed too big for cigarettes. Mine was a bit like this one sold on Ebay ($225). Photo from the closed Ebay auction.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2245831642...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

casket.jpg

This has a star pattern, the one I had a repeated pattern more like the FB one. But otherwise size and weight seem like what I sold before.

Or this Baccarat one that sold for $400. Not sure they are from a cigarette set, but who knows.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3039853897...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

acasket.jpg

Any Jewelry and bercrystal like this.
  12. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I was going to say ciggy box too. I think I may have seen similar in my travels.

Lucille.b likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted