Featured Cut Glass Pictures Lotus and Berkshire from 1899 Montgomery Wards Catalog

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by lauragarnet, Dec 21, 2016.

1. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

A scan I made from an original pamphlet style mailer, a Christmas ad from Montgomery Ward. Junk mail from 1899! It was among things in an old trunk that belonged to my great-grandparents.
    [​IMG]
    I'm posting this for no particular reason, just because it's Christmas.:joyful:

2. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Ah but who made it and what is the pattern??

lauragarnet likes this.
  3. lauragarnet

I thought Lotus and Berkshire were the pattern names or makers.
    Don't worry, some one will know all and blurt it out!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting pages! (I looked at all of them in the Gallery. ;) The prices are real eye-openers of how much things have changed!)

Do I recall correctly that Lotus was a cutting and decorating company?

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm glad you mentioned the Gallery. I almost never look there. Very nice!

Lauragarnet, what does the cover of the pamphlet look like? (Or maybe that question belongs in the Photographs and Ephemera forum.)

lauragarnet likes this.
  6. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

Lotus Glass Company Advertisements
    The Lotus Cut Glass Company was founded in Barnesville, Ohio in 1912. Initially, the company was strictly a cutting operation but as business grew, it expanded into other forms of decorating. The name was changed to Lotus Glass Company sometime in the middle 1920s. Lotus never manufactured any glass !! They were located very close to many of the better glass manufacturers, and found it cheaper to buy glass from one or more suppliers and simply add their own decorations to form the finished product, which was then sold under the Lotus name. Some of the companies they bought glass from were: Cambridge, Duncan and Miller, Fostoria, Bryce Brothers, Paden City and Heisey. In 1960, Lotus purchased the Glastonbury Company and the name was changed to Glastonbury/Lotus.

7. Bakersgma

Thanks, Janette! So if Lotus didn't start until 1912, it can't be the same company that MW used in 1899, right?

lauragarnet likes this.
  8. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

Enjoyed reading about the pieces/prices. Could you let me know what "the Gallery" is. Googling it was overwhelming.

lauragarnet and Aquitaine like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Upper left side of the main site page, to the right of Forums. Click on the word Gallery.

lauragarnet likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Very NEAT pic of the AD!!!!!!

lauragarnet likes this.
  11. lauragarnet

The cover is very plain. No illustrations. :( Just blah...
    01-Montgomery-Ward-1899-Christmas-900H.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. lauragarnet

Montgomery Ward must have been using Lotus as the pattern name, since the cutting company didn't exist yet.

13. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

It was not unusual for retailers or wholeslaers of that period to give a pattern their own name. Often the factory only used a number.The glass may have been made by one company and cut by a different company.

Draft saved Draft deleted