Featured Dali print......too legit to quit...or just Quit ..?

Discussion in 'Art' started by komokwa, May 8, 2017.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

here's my Dali, bought at a print showing in the finest hotel in Lyon France.
    purchased in 1987....

Does anyone care to dispute it's authenticity....?

All comments welcomed !

IMG_1814.JPG IMG_1815.JPG IMG_1812.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Almost without exception, all post-World War II Dalí prints are fakes (a practice even he encouraged.) There is considerable research on this, much to be found on the internet.

Debora

scoutshouse, Heironymous and komokwa like this.
  3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't know what you mean by fake. It's a photolitho of a painting. A common enough thing. The siggy is the question, and it's very likely authentic. He'd sign anything - even blank sheets.

The original painting is called "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate a Second Before Awakening" and is in Madrid.

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Love it.
    Very true. In spite of that, here are the signatures again:
    [​IMG]

scoutshouse, komokwa and judy like this.
  5. komokwa

6 down on the right......looks to be it..

scoutshouse and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Here in UK we have Antiques show where experts go off to various places to find bargains, anyway last week they went to France, one found a signed Dali print, not the exact same one as yours but he paid 380 euros for it and sold it for over a £1k to a knowledgeable Dealer.
    I don't even think his had the embossing.

scoutshouse, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  7. komokwa

the stamp always bothered me....

scoutshouse likes this.
  8. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I went to a Dali exhibit either in Belgium or France in 2010. We go over every year, so my memory fails me. There were cello-wrapped prints like this for sale with some kind of stamp on them. I think it was in Paris, but it could have been Lille. Anyway, for what it's worth, I believe it was probably from the same type of show.

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  9. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO only experts can authenticate Dali. As someone stated, it's not that they're "fakes" so to speak (although fakes exist), it's that he was known to sign reams of arches paper when blank that were printed after death and have far lesser value. Have you checked out that chop?

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  10. komokwa

no......i was hoping someone here could shed light on it...

scoutshouse likes this.
  11. reader

reader Well-Known Member

Curious too-hope it's legit!

komokwa and scoutshouse like this.
  12. komokwa

I thought it was when I bought it.......but then everyone started saying all his prints are fake and everyone has heard the story of him signing hundreds of millions of billions of MT sheets of paper.....so i said to myself.......
    I always wanted this image....
    it reminds me of a certain someone
    it says so much....
    & I was in Lyon on business......the show was ending.....so I sprang for it....800 Francs ( less than 200 Can.)
    ( then at night i went back to the hall and lifted 2 posters of the exhibit off the wall....hehehe..)

13. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Even if it is fake, it is MUCH better than the junk my sister and ex-monster-in-law bought in the 70s!

komokwa, lloyd249 and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. reader

reader Well-Known Member

I still think it looks good as I said before but if you ever want to sell it then you can get it authenticated.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted