Dali The Rebirth of Israel

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Apr 15, 2024.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at my friend's thrift store this morning. I did a Google image search & it came back as Dali's "The Rebirth of Israel"

I found a similar one (most had writing like a exhibition poster), but the 1 that looked like mine was a limited edition piece with signed edition number.

Mine measures 16" x 20.5" - the same as the limited edition & I can't seem to find any others like mine?

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Is it old or just a reprint/copy?
    What kind of printing was it? It almost looks like a watercolor to me - there isn't pixels that I can see - see close up of face (& you can see pencil lines/outlines under his chin in close up too).
    What kind of paper is it? (it seems different somehow too; an older type?)

I took photo inside with flash + outside in sunlight to try to make up for phone camera!

Thanks in advance!

20240415_155818.jpg 20240415_155648.jpg 20240415_155654.jpg 20240415_155701.jpg 20240415_155719.jpg 20240415_160151.jpg 20240415_160154.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

n 1966, Samuel Shore, head of Shorewood Publishers in New York, commissioned Salvador Dalí (1904–1989) for a project commemorating the upcoming twentieth anniversary of the founding of the State of Israel. Such a commission was not uncommon for the artist; he had already completed commissions that included Dante’s Divine Comedy (1951-60, published in 1963) and the Biblia Sacra (1963-64, published in 1969). In fact, from approximately 1965 to 1979, the artist’s output was largely comprised of painted works on paper, completed on commission and made expressly for production as limited-edition prints.

The commission from Samuel Shore was for a series of twenty-five paintings depicting the renewal of the Jewish people. As was his preference for this type of project, Dalí completed his mixed media paintings in gouache, watercolor, and Indian ink on paper; the paintings were then reproduced as lithographs and published in a limited edition of 250 sets of twenty-five lithographs each. Dalí took inspiration from both the Hebrew Bible as well as contemporary history to address a variety of subject matter related to Jewish history and diaspora, spanning the course of over 2,000 years. A letter of introduction by David Ben-Gurion (1886-1973), the primary founder of the State of Israel and the first prime minister of Israel, accompanied each set. Titled Aliyah, a Hebrew word that literally means “migration to the land of Israel,” the series was completed in 1968 in time for the celebration of Israeli Independence Day on April 3. Following their exhibition in 1968 the paintings and prints were offered for sale and dispersed; there are only a handful of complete sets known today.

All 25 lithographs on paper in the Aliyah portfolio measure 22 ½ inches by 15 inches. The portfolio is 27 ¾ inches by 21 inches.

Heritage auction states...
    The complete suite of 25 lithographs in colors on Arches paper, contained in orginal box
    25 1/2 × 19 1/2 in | 64.8 × 49.5 cm

I think this is your print......and someone trimmed it down in size....
    https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/175814539021

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. journeymagazine

Thank ywatercolor?
    I didn't even think of Dali when I first saw it, but it is a powerful piece.
    I've seen it before but not 100% sure - what is gouche? A type of paint like pastel or watercolor?
    Thank you again for the information, it helped immensely!

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A gouache is like a watercolour, only a substance has been added to the watercolour paint to make it opaque, instead of the usual transparency of watercolour.

Gouache is pronounced as goowásh (sort of ;)).

Your print is probably a lithograph though.

journeymagazine likes this.
  5. journeymagazine

Draft saved Draft deleted