Dang - Where to post this?? International Gallery 1886 subscription fine art prints

Discussion in 'Art' started by scoutshouse, Dec 9, 2015.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I have only found International Gallery Collection of One Hundred Select Works by Ancient and Modern Masters in 2 leather bound volumes...

But we have soft cover large folios(?) 1 through 24 with prints suitable for framing... Can anyone help me figure out a method to price these? they're quite nice, IMHO, but maybe junk to a collector?

The covers are shot on the edges, but the prints are basically ready to go.

THANKS!

20151209_143109.jpg 20151209_143149.jpg 20151209_143221.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You are right in that these have little collector value. That said, there are those who appreciate the images in old prints for decorative purposes and are willing to pay for them. Of course the way to maximize profit would be to market each print individually. It is a lot more work to do so but I would guess the amount paid for the lot would be a small fraction of that if sold separately.

You can always offer the lot at an amount you would be happy with to see if you get any bites. I don't know what that number would be for you. For me, I would be happy if the sum were to approach $5.00 per print. That may be overly optimistic but maybe that would be a place to start. You could always break them up later if you do not make a sale.

scoutshouse likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Even if they got uploaded to an antiquarian site, they'd still take forever to sell...
    $5 per is $500 bucks, right? I think someone here threw out a number like $200... that's only $2 per. It's the witching hour on this sale... so, chaos and community opinion rules, I guess.
    Thanks, Brad!

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

A year's worth, or more, of journals were often bound together in the 19th century and early 20th, so what you found may be from the same source.

I agree with Brad that you're more likely to get more if you sell the prints individually. But prints are a hard sell these days, so it could take a long time to sell them.

If you do sell them individually, some buyers will appreciate getting a copy of the cover and intro material.

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. BaconsRandom

BaconsRandom Member

what i used to do with old books is cut the pictures out and frame them then sell them.some would bring 25-35 bucks

6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Hopefully the old books weren't valuable in and of themselves.

7. BaconsRandom

BaconsRandom Member

no i do it with books i get at auction for 5 bucks for a box of old cover less books that are not worth much but are from the early 1900's. i forgot to add that lol oops!

Draft saved Draft deleted