Featured Danish Impressionist Painting by Søren Sørensen: Title Translation?

Discussion in 'Art' started by mirana, Mar 3, 2024.

1. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I did not expect to find something like this yesterday at the thrift. A painting by Danish Impressionist and Modern painter Søren Sørensen in a rather expensive Larson frame.

Soren Kristian Sorensen Danish Impressionist 1885 - 1937 Corner of the Room 0 A sm.jpg

Forgive the photo. It's been dark all day here so this is a make-do adjusted image from the picture I took right after purchase.

Soren Kristian Sorensen Danish Impressionist 1885 - 1937 Corner of the Room 0 B sm.jpg

Modern frame, though that shop has closed. Good example of off-sets for mounting.

Soren Kristian Sorensen Danish Impressionist 1885 - 1937 Corner of the Room 0 C sm.jpg

I can make out "Søren Sørensen Hjørne af en S...stue" So "Corner of a ...room"? Anyone good to fill in the blank? It would be much appreciated. :joyful:

I'm not sure on date. He seems to have dated his pieces next to his initials from 1914 - 1930s. Born in 1885 and died in 1937. Perhaps this was earlier than 1914-ish, when he started dating? Or maybe he just didn't on all his pieces. It does seem more Impressionist than Modern to me. I removed it from the frame and the edges have no further info, other than they have the original tacks, supplemented with newer tacks in-between those.

Worth the $8 I think! :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    J Dagger, verybrad, smallaxe and 11 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hjorne af en ______ or Corner of a _______ according to Google Translate.

Debora

mirana likes this.
  3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

lifted me straight in there, i think thats a good sign;);););););)

mirana likes this.
  4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Thanks! It's one of those things that I thought "I'm not sure how successful this is..." Then photographed it and had a :facepalm: smack-on-face moment of "This is impressionistic....you're not supposed to view it so close yah dummy." I always look at paintings close up in the museum, but of course you see them at the correct distance FIRST. :hilarious: Not so much when they're out of the blue in a bin at the thrift...

5. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

tell you what, ive got a feeling about this one;)

Happy! likes this.
  6. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

Hjorne af en Samsøstue perhaps — Corner of a Samsø Living Room
    Samsø is a Danish island known for its old, half-timbered houses.

Lovely painting & a great find!

7. Antiquefab

Antiquefab Well-Known Member

Think it reads Samoestue .Samoe= neat or tidy and stue= room,so neat or tidy room. Or possibly Living room.

mirana likes this.
  8. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Ooooh I love these suggestions!! Thank you, you two! I tried so many words, but wouldn't have had a chance coming up with those. :D

I think I'm going to lean towards Samsøstue as there is the dash above the supposed o, which going by his name and other word, he uses for the ø? I don't know if that's a standard thing for the language? It might also fit the more old-world look for what was an early 20th century scene, if it refers to older homes found there?

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Maybe he meant to write an ö, which sounds the same as an ø.

Germans also often write ó instead of ö, I guess it saves time.:playful:

mirana likes this.
  10. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

Yes, that’s exactly what I thought, that the last letter before stue was an o with a dash above it, instead of an ø. I don’t know Danish, but ö is an island in Swedish and ø in Danish, so the rest was guesswork/finding a suitable island. There might be other ones, too. :)

mirana likes this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Very nice find!

mirana likes this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

yes....a lovely painting.......real slice of life !!

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted