Featured Danish Silver Necklace Marks - Help

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by KikoBlueEyes, Nov 24, 2020.

1. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Did find another Jensen book when I put the others away, 'Georg Jensen Silversmithy, 77 artists, 75 Years' (1980), showing work from all the Jensen designers - thought you might enjoy an excerpt, words from an apprentice turned craftsman's description of Jensen, "When he arrived in the morning he pulled a pile of designs out of his pocket - they had been drawn on whatever piece of paper he could lay his hands on, sometimes he had drawn on torn-off wrapping paper. He worked quickly, in an afternoon he could fill up a sheet of sketches, all the while he sat singing his own songs to his own melodies."

~Cheryl

2. sassafras

sassafras Well-Known Member

Oh wow, Kiko! That is GORGEOUS!!! Congrats on such a wonderful find. :)

judy, KikoBlueEyes and Bronwen like this.
  3. wenna

wenna Well-Known Member

This sold for $2,400.00 in October 2018!!! Looked it up on liveauctioneers.com (it is free to get an account); this is a great site for finding auction results. Gorgeous necklace!!!

4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Perfect. Excellent information. Thanks so much for taking the time to look this up. I don't have access to such type of information. So when I look for other examples, I should use Necklace number 1?

judy, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

That's an interesting shape - like a butterfly. Sorry you didn't get it. I will have to research those names also. Thank you.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

KSW. You are too kind. I spend hours looking at pieces there. They get pretty nice stuff, like a complete set, I mean every piece imaginable, of Spode "Cowslip". Most of it is priced according to ebay. But every once in a while something slips through like this.

judy, KSW and Bronwen like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

After years of reading Antiquer's posts, I am finding more and more things that are particularly nice. It's due to your and other member's kind and informative responses to what I find that has helped immensely. I asked for this piece before it actually hit the shelf. Thank you so much for sharing pictures of your beauties. Your discerning eye and what you select is so much better than googling makers, because I can see what is worthwhile to examine more carefully and what is not.
    I do spend time in the closet looking at pieces and will add toothpicks to my tools. But I'm going to find a jeweler to clean this now that I have more information about it. I don't want to damage it with my ham-handed efforts, and it is still very dirty. Fabergé, you say. Be still my heart. This is astonishing.

judy, KSW, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

Wonderful. Wonderful. Wonderful. That's what I saw - romantic. Creativity in every way. What a very special person.

9. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you for tracking this down. Even though it is a parure, auction results are usually lower than retail. Once I get it cleaned professionally, as I see these were, then I'll repost it.

10. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. Based on all the comments here, I am starting to appreciate that this is the best thing I have found so far.

PepperAnna, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Talk about being in the right place at exactly the right time...and having the knowledge to recognize the necklace as something special. Congratulations!!!

PepperAnna, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

It's all due to you guys help. I came clueless - wanting to move from work jewelry to going out on the town pieces. At first, I started to buy from auctions, but with all your help I can now pick out better stuff without a neon flag flying over it.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    judy, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Personally, if mine, would be extremely cautious in asking a jeweler to 'clean' this piece, they often like to use buffers, and it would be a shame if they did anything other than hand polishing. I truly dislike overcleaned/overpolished silver - I have a Tiffany 'Ailanthus' salt spoon that came as part of an inexpensive lot, I know the pattern well, but it has been buffed so much that the pattern is softened, the oxidation in the crevices is gone, and the marks are just barely visible when held at a certain angle (the salt damage in the bowl is still visible, but very shiny now), still a pretty thing, but a bit 'lifeless'.

That was Jensen's designation, as to how many sellers know that, couldn't really say...

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry, judy, KSW and 2 others like this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Holy cow.

I'm with Cheryl, all I'd use is a Sunshine cloth.

KSW, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  15. KikoBlueEyes

Very good points. I will think this over carefully. i can try to polish it myself more. i just wiped off the top layer and used one side of a sunshine cloth.

16. KikoBlueEyes

Okay. I’ll work away on it. Thank you

judy, Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  17. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

All I can add to what everyone else has said is...

THUD! I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw the mark. Congratulations :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

PepperAnna, judy, KSW and 3 others like this.
  18. Brian Warshaw

Brian Warshaw Well-Known Member

I found another GJ chart that says it is 1915 to 1932. Which GJ does one believe?

GJ - 1915 to 1932.png

judy, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. There was so much muck that all I could make out was Denmark at first. Poor little thing. Languishing away until you all found the mark.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    judy, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

judy, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted