Featured Dartington or Scandi?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rosalind, May 17, 2019.

1. Rosalind

Rosalind New Member

Hi,
    I've got a set of glass bowls which I was told were Dartington. They have the look of several of Frank Thrower's designs, but they're not in the "First Twenty Years" book by Linda and Stuart Smithson. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the maker, please?
    Roz DSCN6341.JPG DSCN6342 (2).JPG

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Rosalind!

Welcome to Antiquers........

So sorry I can't help, but hopefully others will know.

scoutshouse and Rosalind like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If you're thinking Dartington Daisy, I think not. Those have proper spotty centres to the flowers and aren't opalescent like that - fewer petals, too.

4. Rosalind

Rosalind New Member

Thank you. I know they're not Daisy, and neither are they Hollywood or Etoile. They just have a Frank Thrower feel to them, and the seller was sure they were Dartington. On the other hand, they could be by Ravenhead, Whitefriars or any of the Czech / Bohemian glass houses. :rolleyes:

scoutshouse likes this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Not Ravenhead or Whitefriars most definitely. I know what you mean about a Thrower feel: it's a bit like bark glass looking Baxter-ish! My money would be on a Scandinavian maker.

Rosalind and scoutshouse like this.
  6. Rosalind

Rosalind New Member

Thank you. That detail around the rim would have been difficult to produce on a mass market scale. Iittala maybe? :confused:

7. Ownedbybear

Could be, there's a Finnish look to it. There's a good Facebook page for Scandi glass, worth asking.

judy and Rosalind like this.
  8. Rosalind

Rosalind New Member

Ah! I didn't know about the Facebook page - thankyou! :joyful:

dgbjwc and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted