Featured Dating an antique engagement ring - 1920's?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Hanty, Feb 21, 2024.

1. Hanty

Hanty Member

Ring 1.jpg Ring 2.jpg Ring 3.jpg Ring 4.jpg Ring 5.jpg Ring 6 Hallmarks.jpg Hi all,

My fiancé proposed to me last week with this gorgeous ring. I love my ring to bits and whilst I wait for it to be resized, I was wondering if it was possible to learn a bit about it.

I'd like to know, if possible, when it was likely made e.g. art deco and its age potentially. Ideally a rough estimate. I'm passionate about old jewellery as I love the idea of someone else loving them and their story. I know it's not extremely valuable, but it is to me.

The only hallmarks on the ring are 18CT & PLAT, as seen in photo Ring 6 Hallmarks. There are no actual stamped marks besides these. Can anyone give me a date and maybe a bit of history on it if possible?

Thank you!

Han

KSW, kyratango, komokwa and 8 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Congratulations Han, and welcome.
    Great choice of a ring, your fiancé has taste. And I agree, 1920s, but let's wait for the others.
    That is not uncommon for gold rings from the UK.

KSW, Hanty, kyratango and 8 others like this.
  3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

AJ is correct, despite lots of rules around hallmarking in the UK they were often flouted especially by smaller jewellers/importers. Things did get much tighter in the 60's and more recently have started to go the other way again.

I think this one is probably just post WW2, perhaps early 50's and carrying over some of the Art Deco styling. The gold CT plus Plat mark was used as late as the 60's afaik. The thing that makes me think this one is a little later is the head, the platinum is fused to the bridge. Earlier pieces usually have the shank gold fused to the platinum at the upper shoulders.

Figtree3, KSW, Hanty and 8 others like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Welcome, Hanty, and great job with the pics :)

KSW, Hanty, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

KSW, Hanty, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I was thinking more WW2 with the wings .Very pretty ring,congratulations on the engagement . :)

KSW, Hanty and sabre123 like this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Earlier than post war. That 18ct plat mark is usually twenties into thirties. I reckon the style is very thirties, too. What a pretty setting that is.

yeah, we dodged hallmarks a LOT.

Figtree3, KSW, Hanty and 3 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have figured 30s too, with the small stone. Maybe also right after WWII when designs hadn't changed yet. Those wings would have appealed to some former flyboy and they might well have kept making it.

Figtree3, KSW and Hanty like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

That winged heart thing is quite thirties, harking back to Victorian sentimentality. It’s also got the fluid look which went well with those rather slinky bias cut satin frocks.

Figtree3, KSW, Hanty and 1 other person like this.
  10. Hanty

Hanty Member

Thank you everyone for you lovely comments and help! I was thinking between 20's and 50's, and so that it's good to know it's not a modern repro. Either way, it's very special to me and I'm very happy it's mine!

Figtree3, komokwa, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's charming. Best wishes to you both.

Debora

johnnycb09, KSW and Hanty like this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Your bloke has a good eye, and obviously thought about what to choose. That’s a good sign!

johnnycb09, KSW, Hanty and 1 other person like this.
  13. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s an interesting snippet of information to remember. Thankyou.

Such a pretty ring,the wings make it more unique.
    Being pedantic, you can’t make something more unique but you get my drift, it’s special.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

So pretty!
    I had a ring very like this one, given to me by my English grandmother in the 1970s (and it was "vintage", then.) It was stolen from my Florida apartment during a break-in in 1985. :( Mine only had a single diamond in the center of the heart, no diamonds on the sides. We had thought it likely 1930s.

komokwa, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I am sorry, bluumz. It is especially heartbreaking when it has such a sentimental value.:(

komokwa, johnnycb09 and bluumz like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted