Dating and Identifying tablecloth

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by SeaGoat, Mar 6, 2016.

1. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I bought this table cloth at an estate sale this weekend.
    It measures 8 to 10 feet long..

I'm trying to identify the pattern, when it was made and what it's made of (can you tell tablecloths aren't my forte lol)

Could anyone please help? 20160306_125927.jpg 20160306_130246.jpg 20160306_130251.jpg 20160306_130258.jpg 20160306_130323.jpg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is it my imagination or is the picture of the whole not of the same item as the details?

3. SeaGoat

It's only half the tablecloth photographed but the detail photos are of the same tablecloth

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

You must have had to take the picture from some distance away to get that much of it in the frame, then.

The only thing I am fairly confident of is that this was machine made. The bound off edge was definitely machine done.

I have a set of placemats made in the same weaving style. They were a gift from a sister and, if I recall correctly, were made in France. Received maybe 15 - 20 years ago? They don't have content labels, but the feel to the fingers is starched cotton thread - they have a stiff sort of feel.. I know I have seen this sort of thing done in synthetic material too, but don't want to try to guess which material in yours.

5. SeaGoat

Yeah, machine stitch definitely.
    It's softer, not stiff.

It came from an estate the lady has not lived in for about 10 years and probably hadn't entertained in 5 to 10 years before that.

6. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

If I am remembering correctly, it's known as Quaker lace. These were made of cotton, and later, synthetics.

One can feel the difference; the cotton is softer, and drapes differently. (Check in your nearest Walmart for the synthetics)

FYI. Makes a pretty bedspread too. :)

7. SeaGoat

I actually thought it looked alright draped across a dark wall, if it was appropriately stretched

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Silver,
    Remind people that use it for a bedspread NOT to have pets. My ex wife put a gorgeous Italian lace tablecloth on a spare bedroom bed. We had a boxer puppy.
    Needless to say after a week we found the puppy had rolled around on it and ripped the lace to shreds.
    greg

9. SeaGoat

Ah! Thats heartbreaking Greg!

10. SeaGoat

Ive searched for hours for a pattern that looks like this one. Ive found a few similar, but nothing like this one.
    Someone doesnt happen to have a like to a database for Quaker Lace do they? :cat:

Draft saved Draft deleted