Featured Dating help?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Carrie_nations_ghost, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Hey! Brand new to the forum and to collecting costume jewelry. (My midlife crisis is manifesting as an Eccentric Librarian aesthetic.)

This is my latest haunted-me-until-I-went-back-and-bought-it acquisition. And I have no clue what decade it might be from, forget the designer. My gut says 60’s, but I’m learning the 50’s had more big bold statement necklaces than I’d assumed. Suggestions would be appreciated!

But for all I know, it was made two years ago. (Really doubtful, the construction is just too good to be *too* modern.)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome Carrie. You have your album set on 'private', so we can't access your photo.

Could you post the photo in this thread please? Here is info on how to upload pictures in the thread, please remember to click on 'full image' when you post:

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

Posting images from your phone:

iPhone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

Android phone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

3. Thank you so much for the help, I’ll get it fixed!!

4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Carrie-Is yr avatar a Gambian Spotted Eye Flower Mantis,or ( in the midst of a possible Eccentric Librarian aesthetic crisis myself),could it actually be a Hymenopus coronatus, Orchid mantis L6 female ?
    PS-Welcome to the antiquarian symposium.

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Welcome, CNG. I'm so, so tempted to say this is not a dating site, but since we never joke or get off topic I won't. :)joyful:)

We are going to want to see the back, how it is constructed, which may give an idea of maker. It has an Egyptian Revival Revival vibe, so could be 50s. It does not strike me as 60s, but...?

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

@Ownedbybear probably knows, she might even have one in her hoard.;)
    Never!:stop: No, we never joke or get off topic!:angelic:

7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

That is an exuberant piece! You must have a colorful wardrobe! I'm no good with vintage costume jewelry so no help here, but I like it.

My husband has called mine "grannycore" this year so you're in good company. :hilarious: Always had the library room in our house but I finally got the money to buy proper antiques so... :bookworm:

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Dessert58, kyratango, reader and 5 others like this.
  9. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Mercy! Are there no ends to yer learned facets, Bosko?

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  10. bosko69

Googy Lenz aint bad wit Flora & Fauna,with language translation-much to be desired.

kyratango, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  11. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Especially Asian scripts...of which there are several that...to us round-eyes...look so very similar, and in certain cases are Identical!

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Beat me to it; I recognized the style and the clasp right off. J Crew has been making vintage-inspired pieces for a few years now.

13. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I've noticed quite a few of these "upper middle class" retailers doing vintage inspired things. Makes sense that the construction would be a bit better for their audience.

14. evelyb30

Sure beats that Paperazzi garbage I've been finding. Some people actually think it's worth money "because it's new on card." I keep walking.

wlwhittier, Bronwen and mirana like this.
  15. bosko69

Damn-You Gals certainly study your jewelry.

16. evelyb30

Never a bad idea. True vintage glitzy Schreiner pieces that fall into that Gaudy category can sell for more than precious metal. Something similiar from Sarah Coventry? Maybe $40.

17. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Hattie Carnegie came to mind for this one.

wlwhittier likes this.
  18. bosko69

kyratango, Bronwen and wlwhittier like this.
  19. evelyb30

Maybe they're the ones that hauled off all of the 20s filigree and 40s Victory pins that I can't find any more.

Dessert58 and kyratango like this.
  20. bosko69

They are Evely-it's part of their 60 year old doctorate program in 'Joolie'.It seems like lots of our members can tell a gem at a glance,hard earned embedded knowledge.
    I had an 80 yr old lady jewelry shop owner standing next to me at the local thrift,I'd ask to see this n' that,she kept whispering to me-'crap','s***','junk'.... She may have been using a walker,but her brain was 18.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted