Dating this Monogram

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by acvintage, Jan 14, 2021.

1. acvintage

acvintage Member

Hello Everyone ~ Hoping for some help with style and era of this monogram. It adorns a large linen sheet. The closest I've come to is Avant Garde 1937 but not really sure about that. Any help is appreciated.

forumsmono_002.JPG

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

This is the only Avant Garde font I can find. Can you show us what you're referring to?

Debora

Unknown.png

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You do know that size would help date your sheet? Double beds were the standard until well into the 1960s. And please give us more information. Any tags? What does the stitching in the top turndown look like?

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. acvintage

acvintage Member

@Debora I've posted a better image. If you have a tip about dating older sheets by size please inform - I would love that info. This sheet measures 92"W x 126"L.

The site I was checking monogram styles on is embroideryarts dot com. I only got from A through D's so lots more info on that site but had to give my hand a break.

Thx!

5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd have said early 20th but that's going on stuff my grandmother left me.

6. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Yes, size of sheet would be telling.
    Leslie

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Expensive, good quality sheet in its time (and still.) I don't see a match for font on your link but it may not have a formal name.

Debora

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm still using linens that are well over a hundred years old.

9. acvintage

acvintage Member

I use to find so many of these wonderful sheets. I've been using vintage towels and bed linens for the last 20 years. I just love them ... linen really does keep you cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

I've always wanted to learn about monograms to see if they would help with correct era of older bed linens but haven't found a book that comes highly recommended yet.

Thx for your inputs.

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This comes closest to a flat sheet for a queen size mattress, according to the chart on this page: https://www.frette.com/en_US/bedding-size-chart.html

Sounds like this company makes their sheets a bit larger than usual, and yours is a little larger yet.

Draft saved Draft deleted