Featured DC Transformer Sculptures

Discussion in 'Art' started by springfld.arsenal, Dec 11, 2022.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Im so on the fence about things like this. Part of me thinks "its my house and I'll do what I want" but then the other part thinks "I dont want to piss offf the neighbors"!
    My last place I lived in Denver was off Colorado Blvd in a neighborhood full of brick bungalows. One Mexican gent who had lived there for decades had his own unique vision of "art" and his yard was loaded with his creations.My favorite was a giant bush with dolls heads strung all over it.Long story short,the neighborhood was gentrifying and they wanted his yard cleaned out so they took him to court. I never knew how it played out but im guessing it wasnt in his favor.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Transformers only work with AC

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

at least he put up figures of the good guys !

pearlsnblume and Aquitaine like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm betting every kid in town likes them, not to mention most Millenials! Not my bag, but if they light up and move I'm down too.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

A house not to far away from my area was sold a number of years ago. I even went to a yard sale before the owner sold it andmoved.

When the new owner came in, it was like a dump on the outside. There was things all over the yard, driveway on the side of the house, you name it it was all littered with rusty junk. A real eye sore. He had garage sales at some point, but it was the same junk that sat out all year in the snow, rain and sun.

I drove by there not too long ago and it was all gone. He must have moved or whatever and it was all nice and tidy again. I bet the neighbors were thrilled to pieces.

kyratango likes this.
  7. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

If that historic DC Neighborhood wasn't smart enough to legally put deed restrictions in place, then this type of thing happens. Personally, I would not want that type of structure in my neighborhood. I think the owner is being arrogant and insensitive to his neighbors opinions. I also think it's a real possibility that a child could be hurt climbing on them. My small suburban City which is neither very historic or special has lots of deed restrictions in place and you must petition the city to get a waiver. I doubt these Transformers would be eligible to be erected. The guy should move them to his family room.

8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I live in an historic district. There are very comprehensive and strict guidelines, which have the effect of law since you can't get a building permit without an expensive and time-consuming historic approval permit before they will even look at your application for a building permit.

For example, recently, I expanded one bay of my three-car garage and increased the height of the opening. The garage is a "noncontributing" building (built after the historic period) and permitted before my house was added to the historic district. It took six months and over $1,000 to get this initial historic approval for a non-historic building.

So many people just do whatever they want. This is when the committees become ineffective, and the process breaks down.
    I put it to the ambivalence that the general community has to these historic districts that arise out an interest by residents in a certain area to retain the character of their neighborhood. So, there are no teeth. Just like in this case. Some people like the transformers, and don't care about the impact on the historic district because it lacks importance to them.

I am ambivalent too. I live in what is termed a very walkable area. I am not permitted to have a fence along my front yard because of the historic guidelines. At least 50 dogs walk past my house every day and about 30% of them use my yard as a toilet. My grass is pocked with urine spots. People sit on my rocks and enjoy a beverage and eat their lunch. Children pick my flowers. My decorative elements are stolen even from my front porch.

I wouldn't live elsewhere, and I love my historic house, but I recognize the downsides too.

9. evelyb30

Sitting on your rocks? Have at as long as you take your trash with you. Pee-holes in the lawn, not so much. Petty theft.. just nope. People are pigs.

10. KikoBlueEyes

But they don't take their trash away. I have a large modern Chinese vase on my porch to collect the stuff they shove down into my rocks. You should see the signs that people put up. Some of them are very funny.

johnnycb09 and kyratango like this.
  11. evelyb30

Birdbrains can't police up their own trash...sheesh. Color me surprised.

kyratango and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

folks sometimes throw their dog shit into my recycling bin......
    and my front lawn gets pissed on....daily.

13. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I'd put them in my yard ! :)

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

They sell stuff to discourage dogs from using your lawns. I cant believe people are so damn crass these days.Oh yes I can,actually.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  15. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Some places now require all dogs to have a dna test. If the owner of a house finds dog poop, it can be scooped up and tested for the dna. Once the criminal owner is found to be the owner of that dog, they are fined. But this only works in homes wthat require all dog owners submit to these rules of dna.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Trust me. I have tried all kinds of sprays, liquids, red pepper, etc. Many of my neighbors use signs which are ignored, because the dog owner is on their phone and their dog is on a retractable lead. My poor landscapers have to pick up piles all the time. I start planting flowers about two feet back, and even then I have to use gloves, or my hands are in contact with dog urine.

I love dogs by the way. I have a good-sized grass parkway, where they are welcome to do their business. On it are some boulders to attract male dogs to do their business. I am always amazed at the parents, though, who allow their children to crawl all over the rocks. Also, the staff from the deli up the street who use them to sit on to eat their lunch. EWWW.

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

I live in a city of half and million people. There are more dogs than people, I would expect. Lots of dog poop to track.

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted